Future Contingents: Dorico Runtime App

Bonne année et bananée, Marc.

Igor Engraver used to have an Igor Player that allowed tempo changes, transposition, playback and printing. It had a tiny footprint so was useful for clients to download. The situation is different now with VST hosting.

Playback would be the big problem. If this proposed version had nothing (or a very minimal sample library) the result would probably be lots of misinformation saying “Don’t buy Dorico, the playback is **** compared with other apps”.

Even if Steinberg could do a deal to bundle something like NotePerformer, that would only cover “classical orchestra” playback, not rock/pop, not marching bands, not jazz, not etc, not etc…

Exactly. Igor was in the days when ‘mock-up’ meant ‘mock-up’… and its humanised playback was outstanding for the time.

Agreed, Steve, Rob, that’s actually why I also spoke of such an app including a mixdown of the score as originally produced. It’s far from ideal, but it would circumvent the issue you’re raising…

That might be fine for oldies (like me) who had decades of music making experience before personal computers were even a thing, but too many people today can’t edit a single note without playback.

Like I said, Rob, it’s far from ideal, but it would offer an accurate depiction of the Dorico project as originally produced (by its author)… Independently of what Steinberg might wish to include as sound libraries for interactivity’s sake.