FX Channels and groups/busses volume issue

when I add a group channel to some other channel (audio for example) I experience no difference in the sound, a good thing, but when I add an fx channel to a channel I get an increase in overall volume. even if no plug in effect is loaded on to the fx channel. I can adjust it with the fader on the fx channel or the send from my original channel. but does any one know why if group channels and fx channels are basically the same why the fx channel adds the additional volume?

If you use ‘add fx channel to selected track’ an FX channel is created, a send slot is created & activated and defaults to 0 db. Doubles volume.

However, this depends on your preferences. With the option “VST - connect sends automatically for each newly created channel” **un**ticked this won’t happen.

You can also just add an FX channel instead of an “FX channel to Track XYZ”. The send won’t be created automatically, no matter what preference setting. Of course to use it you have to connect it manually.

Groups are there for you to route the audio track through. Generally they are there for you to route multiple audio tracks through - ie a drum buss: Kick; snare; hi hat etc

FX tracks are for routing a copy of your track to. They are most often used for reverb and delay and allow you to mix an affected signal back in with the original. This allows you have control over how much effect you apply to the original signal. So you’ll want to insert something like a reverb with its wet/dry control 100% wet on the FX track.

What you’re doing currently is mixing another ‘dry’ signal back in with the original signal which is increasing the volume.

thanks all for your replies. Its always good to lay out general clarity on certain functions. That being said I have always been aware of the distinction and difference in application between an fx channel and a group channel, no disrespect to any comments. but what still puzzles me is when you look at the basic architecture of an fx channel and a group channel they appear to be identical even though of course they are intended for different uses. as I look at the signal flow of one compared to the other I’m still a little cloudy as to why in their initial default set up, one adds more volume to the signal path, obviously as stated by the previous posters the fx channel is adding a duplicate of the original sound source, but as I look at a group channel it also appears to be adding a duplicate of the original sound source and yet with no apparent additional volume at set up.

There’s no different between the FX Channel and the Group. They’re both busses.

It’s just that generally you route the output of an audio channel through a buss whilst you send a copy through the FX Channel overall increasing the volume.

I don’t know why otherwise you’d be getting ‘more volume’ using the FX Channel.

You might have to post a video of how you’re setting things up.

I imagine the difference you describe is the difference between sending and routing to a Group/FX channel, nothing to do with the actual channels.

A send is a parallel process, whatever you send is additional to the original causing a volume increase.
Routing is in series. The original is just passed on to the next channel.

Hi. I am trying to get a better understanding of the Cubase signal/buss path (serial vs. parallel, etc.) for input/output of each track. Can you steer me to any information or a good diagram of this? Thanks.

There used to be a much bigger difference between FX and Group tracks, but as they’ve added features/functions they have blurred the actual difference. There are only some minor configuration/preference differences now. Similar to how Track Instruments have slowly had Rack Instrument functionality added to it with just a few differences left.

There used to be a signal path diagram in the manual. Can’t remember when it got removed … and I can only guess that as things became more flexible, the fixed diagram was not accurate anymore.