Galaxy S23 Ultra Performance Issues

Hi Lars. Thank you for your reply.

To be clear, I never actually asked for Cubasis to be optimized for any specific device. I simply asked for the Android version of Cubasis to be better optimized overall and to be given a custom audio engine which achieves that goal while also supporting the same features as iOS (and for some consideration to be given to Android desktop modes, perhaps). Please forgive me for remaining unconvinced that these things are impossible. In one of my earlier comments, I drew a comparison between Android and Windows, and I asked how the two are significantly different. Here’s the quote:

The only reasons you’ve given for the Android version’s shortcomings which seem plausible to me are the different skins that manufacturers apply to Android, whereas all Windows computers have exactly the same Windows OS, more or less. Even so, I confess that I still don’t understand why different Android skins would necessarily be prohibitive. Some skins barely modify stock Android at all. Besides, if indeed some devices are not up to the task (probably low-end ones) then so be it. Anyone serious about using Cubasis will be more likely to have an upper-mid-range or flagship device, which will be far more likely to support Cubasis’ features.

Thanks again for your answer.

“Skin” is a term that’s too light… samsung doesnt just skin with their OneUI versions, they literally disable some features… even in the develloper options you’ll find things “missing”.
Not core functions ofcourse but they significally tamper with Android.

“Skin” is the commonly accepted term for different variants of Android, but I generally agree, depending on how “light” the skin is. Google Pixel UI, Motorola My UX, and Sony Xperia UI are examples of nearly-stock skins. They make minimal modifications to stock Android, so “skin” is definitely the right word for them. On the other hand, Samsung One UI, Xiaomi MIUI, and OPPO Color OS are heavily modified, so “version” or “heavy skin” might be better terms for those.

I know, and there’s also a lot of additional features not found in stock Android. One UI is probably the “heaviest” skin, not least because of DeX mode.

The core functions are likely all that matter for app compatibility, so as long as they remain intact, I stand by my request.

It’s true that samsung give some additional features but outside of samsung apps not many apps implent those functionallities., (look at how many apps dont have a monochrome material icon)
But i seen samsung disabling the vulcan api which has been a part of android the last couple of versions, things like that.

I tried it out and I’m surprised at how many 3rd party apps support monochrome, but there are just as many that don’t, if not more.

I couldn’t find out anything about that. Where and when did Samsung disable Vulkan? That’s the primary low-level graphics API for Android, so wouldn’t Samsung be nerfing a lot of stuff by disabling it?

OpenGL is the primary graphics api… as Vulkan needs specific programming and is fairly new compared to OpenGL… Vulkan also needs more code than OpenGL so for low graphical apps it’s not even attractive to use Vulkan.

Anyways, in any app’s setting, when a graphical api can be chosen, vulkan is not an option on samsung devices (at least not on both my Tab S7 & Tab S6Lite).

Vulkan support is there according to Dev Check :man_shrugging:

DevInfo likewise confirms that my S23U and S10 both support Vulkan:

I said Vulkan is the primary low-level graphics API for Android. It’s replacing OpenGL ES, which is higher-level by comparison (although still low-level) and more abstracted. I don’t think Android even supports full OpenGL.

Agreed. With that said, I’m pretty sure it’s confirmed that Samsung supports Vulkan because there are games which use it and still work on Samsung devices. It would be absurd for them to disable it.

Those apps may simply not support Vulkan. Like you said, it’s a relatively new API.

No those apps were vulkan comp… but that was a few years ago
My culpritt is that when it says “support” it reads as “limited functionallity” , it doesnt have OpenGl support it just has OpenGL (full functionallity)

Since Samsung has it’s own game graphic module (gamebooster) which allows you to change a game’s resolution and framerate (+ put all cores on full response < changing cpu govenor), i only can imagine that they run games thru their own driver.

Anyways, i was doing some digging around since you can put apps on either “default driver” or “system graphics driver” in the developer options and came to find out it (sys graph driver) doesnt do much for graphics but enhances loading times and stabillity. It doesnt do well on high end games but on simpeler games it does what it does…

So now i put Cubasis on the system graphic driver to see if it makes a difference. :hugs::hugs:
I also could throw Cubasis in the gaming hub (folder) and use the gamebooster but i think that might eat battery and im not sure if that would enhance stabillity.

Reference:

I guess Android in its current state is just too fragmented for requests like mine to be granted. Google would have to improve and tighten the hardware requirements for Android phones as far as audio is concerned, and tighten the limits on which OS features cannot be discarded by manufacturers. I’ve decided to wash my hands of all this anyway and just buy a normal computer.