Gapless audio engine in Cubase 11 Pro?

Someone please tell me if they implemented/fixed this?

I’ve bought Cubase 11 Pro but haven’t been able to Activate it and I don’t recall this on the features set.
It would be abysmal if this is not yet implemented!

Nope, no difference to Cubase 10.

Nope. I can’t see it being priority. It does not stop people from working. it’s just seen as an annoyance that people using Cubase put up with.

You never know, might get luck in 11.5 next November!

People keep saying they want this, but I don’t think they actually do.

DAWs that are gapless do not engage plugins when you add them until you stop playback.

The gap that occurs in Cubase is essentially automatically compensating the latency.

Now maybe they can eliminate some other functions in the program that cause a gap, but I’m not exactly sure. For example, if you Disable a track and it has plugins with latency - Cubase still needs to compensate that change.

This is at least what I’ve heard from others, so, don’t shoot the messenger.

Not true at all. I can easily add new instrument plugins or low latency fx plugins and start to play right away without any visual or audible interruption in Logic and Ableton One and do not have any sync issues.

1 Like

Logic, Studio1, Ableton, FL, PT - they all have problem with PDC because of gaupless (most of time in group tracks).

latency compensated? It doesn’t make sense in my head but maybe it’s possible. If the project is already playing, and you add 1000ms latency plugin how does that work?

yes exactly!

No thanks

I’ll take the gap!

I am not talking about hi latency plugins.
Open up Cubase add one audio track without any plugins hit play.
Add an empty audio track there is gap. delete it there is gap.
If this is not happening to you then I have a problem with my system.
I do not understand what this has to do with PDC problems of other DAWs. There are no plugins involved in the process. Even there is I can simply open up Serum, Spire etc and play while the song is running perfectly on other DAWs.
If most of the users are happy with the gap then there is nothing to talk about anyway.

1 Like

Cubase is nothing like hardware, that’s for sure.
It doesn’t take well to any action done during playback.
Sometimes it hiccups just from opening up a plugin window. :unamused:

Create a new track with a software instrument like in other DAWs - forget about it! :smiley:

I don’t use Cubase for live work so it doesn’t really matter to me but I can see why some would find it annoying.

pretty sure this all has to do with latency and sync, adding a track is adding a process that didn’t exist before while another process is already occurring.

But if the track you’re adding the plugin to is not the laggiest track (or won’t become so with the new plugin) - why the pause? Surely the new offset to the laggiest track could be quickly calculated - particularly when deleting a plugin - all you need to do is add the deleted plugins’ number of samples to the track’s buffers to fill the gap left by the deleted plugin, which’ll get rejigged properly once you hit stop. Adding a new plugin to the laggiest track is the only excusable reason for a glitch in audio processing IMHO. I’ve written code (merging RADAR signals for seamless target tracking) which has a similar issues with dealing with multiple real time sources and dealing with the lag – I did exactly this, the laggiest source became the master for that sample cycle and everything else was calculated and slotted in accordingly in real time – this was with 5% of the computing power we have on our desks today!

1 Like

has nothing to do with quickness of calculation, one process is already functioning in real-time after delay compensation, and the other is not.

That is what I am talking about

[quote=lovegames post_id=1065349 time=1605176555 user_id=1678
pretty sure this all has to do with latency and sync, adding a track is adding a process that didn’t exist before while another process is already occurring.
[/quote]

Yes and I wish these simple things at least wouldn’t cause a gap. If you are sure saying if we do not have these gaps we will have horrible PDC issues in Cubase I do not know about that I am just a user not a programmer but I do not have gap or PDC issues from these simple actions on other DAWs. Thats it.
Of course if I delete a track with HL plug in inserted I get gap on other DAWs too.
But never have a gap just by opening a plugin window as mentioned by Musicmould.

Yes and I wish these simple things at least wouldn’t cause a gap. If you are sure saying if we do not have these gaps we will have horrible PDC issues in Cubase I do not know about that I am just a user not a programmer but I do not have gap or PDC issues from these simple actions on other DAWs. Thats it.
Of course if I delete a track with HL plug in inserted I get gap on other DAWs too.
But never have a gap just by opening a plugin window as mentioned by Musicmould.
[/quote]

never have problems with gaps opening up plugin window, this must be a computer performance drop out

All tracks will be delay compensated to the slowest track (or buffer size selected depending on the DAW) - DAWs are are just clever data mergers. The delay compensation required (by adding or removing a plugin) should be able to be calculated in real time unless it is the slowest track you’re dealing with – even then, if you’re comfortably operating within the current buffer size - that shouldn’t matter either - in all other cases there are usually “spare” buffers to be able to slot more latency in seamlessly. Okay it may even involve loading a dummy version of the plugin on another process to test the latency before hooking it into the modified track - a trivial bit of coding, But then Cubase keeps a database of latency for each plugin - it already knows! Which makes it even more of a head scratcher is to why this cannot be coded round, even if you have to pause an audio stream for a given track to patch the new plugin, you should be able to do that before you run out of buffers.

I’m assuming of course you can always add a program to a running thread, perhaps the pause is to spawn a new replacement thread with the whole “new” plugin chain loaded? I’ve not done much coding with windows – so I can’t answer that one.

1 Like

I’ll take the gap too…but developers are there for this. Things that seemed impossible 10 years ago are now working and real in the hi tech realm. Maybe they are not yet ready, but in the future there will be the solution for a gapless engine with no issues whatsoever, no doubt. It is right that we continue to ask

1 Like

perhaps when computers are faster everything can take place in a static set processing delay, and perhaps we are almost there, but don’t think we are for even most professional users. I don’t think even a $40,000 computer can do this yet.

I remember my Cubase running on the Atari 1040 ST in the 1992 :smiley: …and now my windows pc and Cubase pro 11. It is simply another planet, for this I am trustful we will get there

1 Like

One thing I think they should change, if at least as a preference, is not allowing any process that involuntarily breaks recording or at least giving a warning and allowing user to cancel action and continue recording without fault, and or, holding those actions in limbo until recording is stopped by user.