Garritan CFX Compatible?

Are we able to use the Garritan/Abbey Road CFX piano for playback in Dorico? If so, where do I start?

I would like to use the CFX full v1.010 (Aria engine v1.901) installed on an external SSD drive. Works great in Sibelius 7.5 and Logic Pro X. I am running Dorico v1.0.30 on macOS Sierra v10.12.3. Thanks for your help!

I have asked the good people at MakeMusic whether they would be willing to provide us with one or two licenses for the CFX Piano so that we can try this out ourselves (according to another user, this piano also supports gradual pedalling, which the next version of Dorico will also support, so that’s another good reason to try it out), so if they are kind enough to do so, I will try to write up some instructions for this.

In the meantime, however, if the CFX really does use the ARIA Player, then these instructions by Brian Roland should help you a lot.

The CFX works with the Aria player as well as its dedicated VST. The ‘partial pedalling’ function needs to be switched on under Advanced.

Until Dorico lets you output continuous controller messages one way or another, you can’t use piano pedalling at all in the current version, unless you did something really evil like modifying an Expression Map to make some existing technique text instructions generate the controller messages - but “doing something else while waiting for the next update to Dorico” is probably a better use of one’s time than that!

That indeed is one of the things we’re working on at the moment…

The CFX is really such a beautiful beast of a piano library. I have many sampled piano libraries, but this one is still my favourite for most styles. I also think the Ravencroft is really good as well :slight_smile:

It would be great if Makemusic responds to your request, wishful thinking on my part.

Failing that, I’m sure they could pop by Abbey road studio and borrow a copy. :laughing: