General Tip for Newbees (and others)

Hi all,

following quite a lot of threads here in the forum made me think: There a many postings with unclear questions and a lot of clarification is needed in order to start to help. Asides from general problems of (many?) posters to express themselves clearly (which cannot be handled properly in a Software Forum but is more a question of early education…) many of these postings could be more productive (in terms of chances to help) if people chose a reasonable approach to learning the software.

I highly recommend to (cross)read the manual. Please dont get me wrong. I am aware that despite having read the manual one sometimes misses points that are clearly documented there. And I am also aware that the manual is not perfect. BUT: What we all need in order to communicate about the program, our problems with it, etc. is A COMMON LANGUAGE - a basic understanding of the terms and concepts the software uses. And a general idea of the context. All this can be achieved by having an “inner overview” of the manual.
There are of course great videos (for those who prefer videos over written text) - but this does not replace the manual, especially when it comes to basic concepts and the terms that are used.

So my piece of advice is: Learn the “Cubase” language. Take time to get an overview of concepts and the language (which is ALWAYS specific to a certain product) it uses.

What you will get is a higher probability to solve some problems on your own PLUS you will increase your ability to express your problems, issues, questions in the forum.

All the best, Ernst

:clap:

Thank you!

+1
but Pearls bevor swine, unfortunately…

but Pearls bevor swine, unfortunately…

But if we can save only a single swine from the slaughterhouse, it is a success :wink: :sunglasses:

This is very true. I do think that cubase would MASSIVELY benefit from bite size tutorials for newbies. They have great videos and Greg I think his name is is great. But for newbies cubase can be difficult to get under the hood even though once you know it’s so easy. Steinberg should do a whole series of five minutes quick fire tutorials trips and techniques and make them categorised into mixing arranging sidechaining etc. They will get more people onboard that way I think.their videos seem to be all over the place and not really clearly defined and categorised like other daws have online. And I think it’s important to cater for the newbies with shorter attention spans etc as that’s how the software will survive bringin in new users.

I am surrounded by education experts in my private life. I mean, real ones. Learing “the language” of a new field we are entering is alway key. Otherwise we cant communicate. Learning the laguage can be supported by videos - which is not always the most “economical” mode. Reading (crossreading) can be much faster with a much huger uptake sometimes. Key is to find the right mixture.
By the way: There is no such thing as “aural” or “visual” learning types - this is just non-scientific “urban legend” - unfortunately widespread.
It is the “media mix” that does the trick - with tons of great options available.

LEARN THE LANGUAGE - this is my key message (and reading is one key tool to do so).

But my Clip has become jammed in a Part that is now an Event :slight_smile:

Good job creating this thread, it is really becoming a mind numbing exercise in patience.

Thank you, peakae…

I compare it to a first aid situation. People have to realize that it would cost a life if someone said (with fading breath) “My head is hurting” - while in fact the pain is in his/her chest - just because never having learned the right words…

I agree totally with this. That’s exactly my approach too. My point re the video tutorials was really to help new generations that are coming through who have been brought up on social media, youtube and shorter content consumption. Whether you like it or not these are the future ‘paying’ users of cubase. We are living in a very different world now to when cubase first came to the scene. If new users are alienated then that could have an affect on profits which will have an affect on development and support and i’m sure you wouldn’t want that.

absolutely - language is key - and that language has, and is changing as outlined in my previous post.

I dont vote against videos and I am fine with attracting “new” people with different approaches to learning.

To be able to handle text (also complex text btw.) will also remain key to participation in the future. Therefore I love to encourage also the “new generation” to not surrender to the “video-only” way of learning. It will not be sufficient. Not as long as human brains work the way they do.
And concerning attention spans… sex life will be quite an issue with 20 seconds attention span… oh… I forgot - this is why devices are entering this area as well ;o)…

Lol hmm I can’t quite comment on sex devices personally but I’ll take your word for it. As for video vs manual vs everything else I agree, I just know that like I said these are changing times whether we like it or not. It’s the era of swipe left right as opposed to turn page

You are right ;o)

I swipe and turn pages - sometimes swiping turns the pages for me :slight_smile:

As for the other thing… we may enter times where “you bluetooth you…” will be offending ;o)

Never “Harald “Bluetooth” Gormsson” is a national treasure here. The king that united the Danish tribes and brought Christianity and order to this part of Europe :slight_smile:
Kind of fitting that they used his name for a uniting wireless standard.

One thing I will add to not go completely of topic.
Maybe a cheat sheet of some kind could be helpful.
I’m thinking a screen capture of Cubase with arrows pointing to different spots, this is an event, this is a part, this is the inspector etc… like:

Just in a much higher resolution, and pinned to the Forum, to make it easy to look up when You/We don’t remember the correct term/name for the thingy we want to complain about.

Hi,

I have a feeling, I should apologise for my poor English language skills here. I try to help as much as I can here on the forum, but maybe my English language skills are sometimes a barrier.

Great idea!!!

(we have to remember that not all concepts have a visual representation, though).

Cubase has a manual, I had no idea :open_mouth: Good thing is we are not required to help at all. If it does in fact blow your stack or annoy your sensibilities then bow out of the thread, very simple.

I think most of the pious here still insist on spanking the ignorance/laziness instead of enlightening it.
It reminds me of telling someone to quit smoking, eat right etc. They either listen or they do not.

All posts should just be answered with a manual link with page number, problem solved. Then everyone would learn the language of Cubase :laughing:

Makes you wonder why NO ONE has done short, max of 5 min tutorials that focus on one thing at a time as learning should be. Gregs stuff is cool but you still have to go fishing to find your answer.
I would do it but its easier to help the crippled bird in a PM and avoid the drivel.

Spot on. Native instruments have nailed ‘to the point’ tutorials. They have something called trutorials i think it’s called? They’re like 3 mins - tiny nuggets that literally give you the ins and out of maschina. And then you manually hunt for the extra details. The cubase manual is not bad - it’s fairly digestible and straight to the point - personally i just get brain fried when it comes to the logical editor - which is probably the only aspect of cubase pro I haven’t ‘mastered’.

I also find that when someone asks a really simple question, i still read on as ‘sometimes’ the answers given actually enlighten me in terms of maybe a different method of doing something in cubase that i hadn’t thought of. Or invokes a discussion that uncovers an undiscovered nugget perhaps. Especially with the wealth of knowledge that many here are kind enough to impart. And Also Martin - your english is excellent - and help always appreciated.

I really hope the dudes that are having so many issues with cubase on the mac get that fixed soon. I kinda feel bad that (touch wood) I have no issues at all whatsoever here, and I freaking love Cubase Pro.

Not at all: I’ve been on the receiving end of your advice directly and indirectly and your meaning is always clear.

I’m usually one to pore over manuals for a bit of night-time reading, but I must admit, I don’t find the Cubase manual to be the easiest read. I’ve found youtube videos from a variety of sources to be more useful. I second the suggestion for bite-sized, focused tutorials and completely agree that specific nomenclature (differentiating between "event’, 'parts and ‘tracks’ for example) is vital. Perhaps a wiki-style (user contributable) FAQ?