Generate MD5 in Metadata

On the Extra tab in Metadata, there’s a generate MD5 checksum selection. If I take a new wave file with no metadata and select that checkbox, then save the file, it generates an “original value”, and an MD5 value that appears in the Metadata window for that file. Those values are different, and neither of them matches the values I get if I run an MD5 on the wav file with a utility outside of Wavelab, before or after. Is that as intended?

it generates an “original value”

I don’t know which one you mean.

Else, the generated MD5 only concerns the audio sample part inside the file, while if you use an external tool, the md5 includes the headers too, hence can’t be the same.

I don’t have it in front of me, but underneath the checkbox in the Extra tab, mine says original value and it generates a value there when I save the file. A value where it was just blank before. Different from the value that appears in the metadata.

If the headers are not included I guess I don’t understand the purpose of the MD5 in the metadata. If you send the file to someone else I guess they could possibly see the MD5 value in the metadata using say, Foobar 2000. But what tool are they going to use to run an MD5 checksum of just the audio sample to verify against that value?

A value where it was just blank before. Different from the value that appears in the metadata.

It is blank if no MD5 was saved. Then if one is instructed to be produced, it will be different from blank. Hence I don’t get your point.

If the headers are not included I guess I don’t understand the purpose of the MD5 in the metadata.

It is not possible to include the header in the MD5, as the md5 is itself part of the header. That would mean the MD5 would be calculated using a header value that does not exist yet.

I guess this feature (which is not a WaveLab invention), is usable (used?) by archive companies.

Ah, ok, thanks PG, makes sense.