Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver Problem

So long story short I have a Sound Bastard X-Fi Titanium but it sucks… tonight I got the front panel working on my computer so I can plug my headset in to it without having to pull the computer out and mess around in the back of it. But now I have to use my integrated Realtek HD soundcard for this to work. The Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver used to allow other audio to play while it’s being used with my Sound Blaster but now with the Realtek it blocks all other audio output. Did I do something wrong? Is there something else I can do if not? I would prefer to avoid ASIO4ALL because I’m fine with around 20ms latency because I don’t have to make a choice between talking to my friends on Skype and composing in Cubase.

If nothing else, can anyone recommend a good ASIO supported soundcard that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg?

Hi, I do not have experiences with the generic low latency asio Driver that Comes along with cubase, but generally speaking I am absolutely sure that investing in a good soundcard with a decent asio-driver will be the way to go.

There are tons of models around. To me RME offers the best ones in an acceptable pricerange. But there are other Options as well. It highly depends on what you want to connect (How many Inputs/Outputs do you Need for simultanuous use?).

Then there is the question: External device with USB or firewire (firewire recently requires addionals Cards on a lot of Motherboards, so I’d rather go with USB in case of external Hardware) or an internal Card?

Cheers, Ernst

i think “converter” means “usb audio interface” (yes they have their own asio drivers) eg M-Audio, RME, etc etc. even entry level $150 will give great results.
you will generally get latencies of 6ms or less.

cheers

Try an external USB converter. From Presonus to Steinberg, Roland, Edirol a lot others, you can find good and really decent units from 100 euros up. And that will solve your audio related issues in a good way… All the best

Using “release asio driver in background” isn’t an option as Skype for example is always on when in a call.

How does an external USB converter work exactly? Does it have it’s own ASIO driver? I don’t understand how it would fix the ASIO problem because I don’t know how it works so someone please explain it to me. I don’t want to blow 100 dollars for something that might not even work.

Hi, just to avoid wrong advice or advice that does not really adress your Problem/Need:

Can you explain what you want to achieve exactly?

Cheers, Ernst