Genos transmits MIDI but doesn't receive

This just started happening. I set up Cubase to record either a VST instrument or MIDI from my Yamaha Genos. Yesterday, the meters in the track were bouncing but I had no sound. Today the meters don’t even bounce. I can still activate sound from the VST plugin’s keyboard.

I have the Genos connected through USB MIDI. I checked all the USB ports on my computer to make sure they work. To do this, I plugged a thumb drive into each one and made sure it was displayed in Explorer. So, the physical ports are all working. I even wired my Genos MIDI ports to my UR44 MIDI ports using the old DIN connectors. I was hoping I had a bad USB cable. The same problem occurs, so it’s not cabling. All audio files play perfectly in Cubase. I don’t think the problem is in Cubase.

In the Device Manager, I noticed one error message on two of the USB Composite Devices (one where my Genos is plugged in I think). It reads, “Device USB\VID_046D&PID_C52B\6&7b94664&0&2 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.” I’ve read all kinds of solutions to this on the net but nothing works. The most popular theory is that a Windows update has screwed with the migration.

I’m ready to record but can’t. Any ideas on how to fix this, besides dumping MS and buying a Mac? Thanks.

More information
I updated the Yamaha USB driver. I can now record and playback a VST instrument or the Genos as a MIDI track BUT I can’t hear any sound as I play, even with the Monitor button pressed. The Genos has a Transmit and Receive monitor in its MIDI screen. The port channels are all set correctly. The light flickers on the Transmit page but not the Receive page.

In the Device Manager, I’m still getting the error. “Device USB\VID_046D&PID_C52B\6&7b94664&0&2 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.”

Help!

I also disabled ReWire a few days ago to stop the annoying crashes. They have stopped.
Now I can record the Genos MIDI but I have to turn on Local Control so I can hear what I’m playing. Otherwise, there is no monitor sound when recording MIDI tracks from the Genos or a VST instrument :frowning:.

This lack of monitor sound is the issue. Everything records and I can hear all playback. I just can’t hear what I’m recording. Does this have something to do with the USB issue? Sure sounds like it to me!

I’m at a stage where I think this issue was caused by a Windows update. Apparently, Microsoft has had a bad few months of updates that have caused a lot of issues.

Further thoughts:

1. Can it be a USB MIDI problem when the DIN cables also failed to send MIDI from Cubase back to my Genos? Have I changed a critical Preference in Cubase?
  2. I have recorded and monitored successfully AFTER the last Windows update, which was June 11. Hence, it’s not likely a Windows issue.
  3. I opened Cubase 8 Pro (still on my machine). Everything works perfectly!! So it is Cubase 10.5.2.

What has gone wrong?

Solved

My MIDI Thru was turned off in the Preferences! Moderator - please feel free to do what you want with all my posts. Thanks all!

Hi Lee, since you are using Cubase with Genos, maybe you have run into the same problem as I do right now. In Cubase I use Control and Program Changes to select the right sounds of Genos for my arrangements. But when I want to use a voice that has an effect on it (for example a distorted guitar) I only hear the clean sound.
On forums I was adviced to use specifically one of the two midi ports, or use specific midi channels (the Song channels, so not Right 1, 2, 3 etc.) But I can’t get it to work. Perhaps you have an idea?

Regards,
Robert

Hi Robert. Sorry for the late reply :smiley:. I haven’t recorded since Covid died down and things opened up. All my time went to live performances again.

During Covid, when I was recording my Genos to MIDI, I always recorded the tracks dry, and then used DAW effects plugins. The effects built in to the SA2 voices are not actual MIDI data. Hence, why you’re not hearing them. The solution given to you from the forum is accurate in that it would trigger the SA2 voice because that voice resides inside the Genos, but I never had any luck trying to get the MIDI send and receive mapping correct through Yamaha’s VERY confusing and convoluted Genos interface.

Here’s a possible work-around.

Hi Lee, thanks for your reply. I learned something new about the SA2 voices.

Is your message truncated? It stopped at the work-around.

Hi Robert,

I’m not sure why my message was cut off. Here it is in its entirety. Let me know if it failed again. Odd :grimacing:.

Hi Robert. Sorry for the late reply :smiley:. I haven’t recorded since Covid died down and things opened up. All my time went to live performances again.

During Covid, when I was recording my Genos to MIDI, I always recorded the tracks dry, and then used DAW effects plugins. The effects built in to the SA2 voices are not actual MIDI data. Hence, why you’re not hearing them. The solution given to you from the forum is accurate in that it would trigger the SA2 voice because that voice resides inside the Genos, but I never had any luck trying to get the MIDI send and receive mapping correct through Yamaha’s VERY confusing and convoluted Genos interface.

I’m sorry but your message stops at ‘here’s a possible work around’.

Hi Robert,
I responded twice by email. It’s this forum software that is the problem. Here’s my entire reply. Hope it helps :wink:.

1. Record the entire song as you normally do, with the exception of the Right 1 voice. Save the recording.
  2. Go to Windows Explorer and make a copy of the recording. (Do the similar process if you’re using a Mac)
  3. Open the copied file in Cubase.
  4. Clean up the MIDI tracks to your satisfaction.
  5. Record the cleaned up MIDI tracks to audio tracks.
  6. Delete the MIDI tracks.
  7. Record the Right 1 voice as MIDI on Channel 1.
  8. Clean up the Right 1 MIDI track to your satisfaction.
  9. Record the Right 1 MIDI track to an audio track.

The effects should be recorded to the resultant audio track. Give that a try and let me know what happens.

The one thing we all must acknowledge is that arranger keyboards are horrible to record and that Yamaha has NEVER come up with an easy to use interface for us to do so. If these steps don’t work, I would go back to the suggestion made by dozens of people on the PSR Forum. Record all the MIDI tracks inside the Genos and export them to Cubase. That way, all the information is included. That’s the one thing Yamaha did right.

Another idea – toward the end of my recording time with Cubase, I learned that the stellar voices built into the Genos can’t compete with the many VST voices available – many of which are free! I ended up using my Genos as nothing more than a MIDI controller. Life’s too short to try and figure out all the trap doors involved in recording the Genos voices. Between VST voices and effects plugins, you can still use the Genos styles but with far superior voices. VST voices are much easier to use and offer up far more options.

Stay well…

• Lee

Hi Lee,

Thank you for your time to send me this extensive answer. I got some experimenting to do it seems.

Regards,
Robert

Glad to help, Robert. Hope it works :smiley:.