German Letters Ö, Ä, Ü and Dorico Files on Dropbox. Fake Sync Error

Hi, does some Dorico and Dropbox users get errors while trying to save Dorico file with specific German letters ö, ä, ü to some Dropbox folder? It shows an error on my MacBook Pro - files could not be synced, because some kind of sighns like / ! are not allowed. By the way Dropbox syncs it properly regardless this error message.

I did a test with Word document, and there are no errors. I did a test on other MacBook Pro - another Dorico SE user, another Dropbox account. The result is the same. Word doc - no problems, Dorico doc. - error message.

I am in conctact wih Dropbox support to solve this problem. Any way Dorico team could might concider to contact Dropbox team directly as well, as this is also Dorico specific issue.

I am curious to know if somebody els has this problem😊

I have every dorico file in Dropbox and never had any problem.

I advise you to use ae, oe and ue instead of ä,ö,ü aswell as ss instead of ß in file names as it’s just better style. Why it seems to work with word and not with dorico-files I have no idea…

Sometimes it’s not the file name itself but some foldername higher up the hierarchy that’s causing the problem

Thank you for your replay. Of course I could use ae instead of ä, but it is some kind of automatic thinking, when you write in some particular language. As I said before this issue persist only approx. 1 year. And I use Dorico with Dropbox since Dorico was born. Even Dropbox team recognises it as not a normal behaviour.

Could you tell me are you on Windows or macOS? It could be an explanation, because 2 laptops with identical macOS but different Steinberg and Dropbox accounts produce the same error…

That’s obviously a problem of Dropbox…

Dateien und Ordner in Dropbox benennen | Dropbox-Hilfe

Their help advises you to avoid these characters.

Yes, they help and advise - but there are no german letters at all in these advices😊
Just opposite. Look at the name in their example at the last file😊

Verwenden Sie höchstens 260 Zeichen für Datei- oder Ordnerpfade.
Datei- und Ordnerpfade müssen kürzer als 260 Zeichen sein. Der Dateipfad „C:\Users\Panda\Eigene Dokumente\Dropbox\Sachliteratur\Meine Autobiografie\Hobbys\Lieblingsgerichte\Bambus\Familienrezepte\Frische Kräuter.doc“ ist zum Beispiel 141 Zeichen lang.

Anyway its still interesting why does doc (.docx) show no errors and .dorico does.

Hmm, seems like I ignored the example :wink:

I deleted my Dropbox account long time ago, so I can’t test it myself. Using OneDrive, even with Boxcryptor in between, I have no problem like that. Might be the Dropbox driver treats characters different than other Cloud syncs.

Yeah, I’m using Windows.

(Die Sache mit der Gewöhnung ist gar nicht so schwer, wenn man es sich einmal angewöhnt hat, das hat bei mir vielleicht zwei Wochen gedauert)

Is the error only with updating the file or is it also when you upload it for the first time? Is the error also existent with .txt-files? And have you tested both .docx and .dorico files from the same folder?

Error comes, when Dorico saves file for a first time. I just updated one file with ö to double ö - no sync issues. txt. sync with no errors. I have tested both .docx and .dorico files from the same folder.

It is so sad that we STILL sometimes, even quite often, encounter these ancient, primitive computer problems.

I am from Finland, and, to put it mildly, I really HATE if and when I can’t use my native language alphabet. Ö, Ä, Å and ö, ä, å are OUR language. For example, an Ä is NOT an “A with two dots”. They are TOTALLY different, independent letters with totally different pronunciations!!! And “AE” is absolute NONSENSE!!!

Sorry about the rant, but when your name is Yrjö Säyppö, you do NOT want to have it spelled, or have to spell it YOURSELF, ridiculously Yrjoe Saeyppoe!!!

German guys cannot stand that Höfner, the great guitar maker established in 1887, is spelled and PRONOUNCED Hofner TODAY in the English speaking world. Hofner??? :frowning: HOW primitive.

This is endless. Thank you so much for your patience, guys. :slight_smile: My rant sure has nothing, or not much, to do with the great Dorico, so sorry and thanks again.

3 Likes

It looks as if you’re not the only one…

I don’t think it has caused me any problem so far, but I’ve been having these for at least 6 months now…

And “AE” is absolute NONSENSE!!

In the German language it is NOT Nonsense, it is simply an alternative writing.
Ä =AE
Ü = UE
Ö = OE
and it is pronounced identical. So this depends on the language. My first name is written ‘Jürgen’ but I’m used to write it ‘Juergen’ simply to avoid trouble like this.

1 Like

You’re fighting an uphill battle against 70 years of past practice. Computers are HARD. Foreign languages are even tougher. A few umlauts may not seem that bad, but if you deal with that, are you prepared to handle Chinese? Japanese? Russian? Arabic? (Written right-to-left, btw)

That is not a problem in modern Systems today, it is called Unicode.
I’m working for a Software Company where we can use these charactersets, even if it is right-to-left.

Not in Latin! I use Æ / æ daily. Œ is pretty common too.

1 Like

Juergen was quoting MSTS_Music, who is Finnish. His point in post #9 was that ae or æ has nothing to do with the Finnish vowel ä. FWIW I agree with his rant.

The larger point of the thread is that Dorico needs to support Unicode in filenames in order to work properly with services such as Dropbox. I’d like to hear something from the team about this issue, for my own curiosity.

I use special characters in my titles all the time, and I’ve never had any problems. I’m on macOS, and use icloud, however. But it would seem that special characters are indeed supported.

OneDrive, being a backward Microsoft thing, is notorious for adhering to prehistoric (mid-20th century) character limitations. It’s an insult to the non-English speaking world (i.e. most of the planet). End of rant :man_in_lotus_position:

1 Like

That is the reason why I said Unicode. No Latin characterset is capable of supporting all possible characters, so this is why the core of our software is fully Unicode.

As I said, all modern Systems Support Unicode. Otherwise it would not ne easily possible to use your operating system the same way in Japan or China, as you are using it in your area.

I don’t know about Apple Office products, but Microsoft Word, as an example, always saves your text as unicode characters, regardless what characterset you are using otherwise. This allows you to open a english or french or german text even on a japanese system.

So do I. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be if I couldn’t even properly append my own name to things.

2 Likes

Dorico itself has no problems handling any filename that conforms to the requirements of the operating system. But we can’t account for bugs in third-party software such as OneDrive, Dropbox, or indeed anything else.

4 Likes