Get Dorico to recognise a Virtual Sound card?

So, for pretty much most of the year on my Windows machine I’ve succesfully run the sound from Dorico through Zoom. I used a virtual sound card called E2Esoft VSC. Basically I set sound on Dorico to Asio4All then route that to e2eVSC which finally goes out through my Focusrite. I have to go through Asio4All because Dorico doesn’t see e2eVSC as one of the devices.

And that’s my main question: Is there a way to get Dorico to recognise this Virtual Sound Card as a device? Sibelius recognises it, but some other apps such as Dorico don’t see it as a device option.

Anyway, the reason I’m needing to re-look at the setup is that recently all of a sudden it’s been working less well. Have no idea why - to my knowledge neither the VSC nor Dorico or Asio4all have updated. But now I have to have VSC running first, and with Dorico I get distortion (same as the sound when the buffer is set too low.

So is there a way to get Dorico to recogise a Virutal Sound Card?

Why all the complication? Why not just go right to the Focusrite?

Because then the sound doesn’t go out through zoom when I share sound.

Even if you set your system sound to go out through the Focusrite?

To get Dorico sound through Zoom, have you considered using something like OBS? My setup seems similar but I’m using FlexASIO and VoiceMeeter. I have Dorico set to output on FlexASIO and my system sounds output to VM CABLE Input (a VoiceMeeter virtual cable), which seems basically the same concept as you but different software. OBS isn’t compatible with my webcam software (Fuji X-T4) so I use ManyCam but I assume OBS would work the same way. In OBS create an input for your VSC output, and another input for your mic, so the audio can be mixed together. There may be a simpler program to mix this, but I also mix multiple video sources so there’s always a virtual piano keyboard at the bottom of my screen so students can see voicings. In Zoom, set the OBS output as your mic input. Now there’s no need to ever share sound as anything you say or play on your system will be included in the audio feed sent to Zoom. Any Dorico playback will go to Zoom automatically.

Not sure it that helps, but I get Dorico sound going out through Zoom without any distortion this way.

No, that’s the way I would normally have it when I’m not dealing with Zoom.

I haven’t considered OBS, partly because I’m trying to avoid introducing another variable into the mix if I can. I did try Voicemeeter to see if I could get that to work, and I got it routed up but again I had some ‘low buffer’ sounding distortion (again buffer wasn’t low), and never managed to get to the bottom of it.

As I said, this was all working fine until about a month ago. I guess I wondered if there might be some file in the Dorico system folder that if opened with Notepad some extra bit of text could be added so that it would see the VSC (a bit like what I’ve had to do with some VST instruments in the past), but maybe that isn’t possible.

If all else fails though, I guess I’ll look into OBS.

It took me a while last year with lots of trial and error to figure out the combination that worked for me. I can’t remember why I’m using FlexASIO instead of VM as my Dorico output other than this combination worked without distortion. Dorico can see VM though, so you might want to give it another shot if you can’t get it to recognize your VSC.

I liked the ManyCam/OBS solution for teaching simply because I never have to use “share sound” in Zoom. I can play Dorico, play on my MIDI keyboard, play audio, YouTube clips, talk through my mic, etc. and everything is included in the Zoom audio feed.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll look at Flexasio in the first instance to see if that makes any difference, then if I need to, look into OBS.

1 Like