Get the fader value and set it to a gain plugin? How?

Does anyone know if it’s possible using a macro, or the logical editor to get the fader value, and set that value into a gain plugin in an automated way?

After I get my static balance, I like to set the fader value into a gain plugin so I can reset all faders to zero for automation purposes.

Is there any way to script this instead of manually going through each track, opening the gain plugin and copy/paste the value and then resetting the fader?

Thanks.

I know this is old, but I do the same thing…did you ever figure this out? This would be a HUGE time saver for me.

Not possible imho.
Why don’t you set the levels in the gain plugin in the first place?
Also, I might be stupid, but why do the faders have to be set to zero for automation purposes? Really curious.

A) Doing it on the faders first makes it a bit quicker and more organic. It’s just easier/faster to get a rough balance that way.

B) Having faders set to 0 for automation makes automating accurately easier – I don’t have to remember that the fader was at -4.8 and this one was at -3.2 and this one was -6.7 – they just return to 0 – done and done – also there’s the whole fader resolution issue – but that’s less of a concern.

Without having tried it, I do believe it should be possible using the MIDI Remote API.
You can read the fader value, store it to a variable and set the pre-gain to that value and finally set the fader to zero.

1 Like

If using the pre-gain (which I personally prefer to reserve for gain staging, not for level balancing, but that’s just me), wouldn’t it be easier to directly set the pre gain value with the MIDI remote instead ?(full disclosure: I have no clue about the MIDI remote API :wink: )

I’m assuming this requires some kind of midi controller – or can that action be set to a hotkey combo?

Also thanks, I had no idea that existed!

Yes, “some kind of MIDI controller” would be necessary. But not necessarily a “traditional” one.
Anything that can send MIDI will suffice, such as a tablet (iPad or other), something like a Stream Deck, or using an application that converts keystrokes to MIDI. (The latter might not be so straight forward.)

1 Like

Oh cool… I’ve been thinking about grabbing a streamdeck anyway - might be another excuse to grab one.

Any idea if this would be possible using iCPro app?

You need something that has a MIDI port, be it physical or virtual. I do not believe iCPro creates and exposes a MIDI port.

1 Like

I’m throwing in a completely different solution, coming back to my suggestion of dialing in the levels in a plugin from the start. I can understand that it is ergonomically not optimal, having to open many plugin windows and such, but there are some solutions that simplify that approach by being able to display all channels inside the plugin GUI at the same time, e.g. the Waves CLA Mixhub can display up to 64 plugin instances of itself in one window.
Then there is the SSL 360 (SSL 360), which is actually a separate Remote Control app for their plugins, which will present you with a virtual channel strip rack in one window, with all the plugins that are in a project (of course only their own). Now that is of course a bit overkill, if you just want to control the faders, but you can probably disable the not needed sections and just use the fader e.g. of their channel strip (which is pretty much overpriced imho, but I think they do quite drastic sales from time to time).
I admit that I haven’t tried those products myself, but maybe it could be an alternative to your current workflow which sounds really time consuming…