Getting Full Stop (period) for Condensed Player Labels to Work

I saw that someone else posted about this in February 2021 and didn’t get an answer. I’m hoping someone is able to point me in the right direction. Seeing “1.2.3” and not "1.2.3."is driving me bananas.

Attached is a quick sample with three clarinets.
FinalPlayerFullStopCondensingIssue.dorico (1000.5 KB)

Welcome to the forum. Having had a look at the file - and having compared it to some other files I have here that condense - I can’t find a way of making the top right option (Appended after final player number) work correctly in any situation. The top left setting (Separator between player numbers) seems to work in some files but not yours.

Hopefully somebody from the development team can investigate further and report back.

I have found the same with existing files and with new files, in Dorico 3.5.12 and Dorico 4.0.31.

I could get the Separator between player numbers to work by clicking on Reset to Factory.

Thank you both for the replies. Here’s to hoping there is a fix for Appended after final player number

I’ve had a chance to look into this now, and in fact this is at present deliberate.

The Appended after final player number and Appended after single player number options on the Condensing page only apply to player labels that appear above the staff, and not to staff labels.

I’d be interested in whether or not there’s a consensus view that these same option values should also be used for staff labels.

I don’t know about a consensus, but I would hope for these to be an option in staff labels as well.

Personally, I would want to see periods (full stop) after all three numbers. It gets trickier if you use other options such as commas. In that’s case, 1,2,3 would seem appropriate (no full stop after).

It does look very odd to see:

1 Like

I’d be interested in whether or not there’s a consensus view that these same option values should also be used for staff labels.

Adding my voice to that hopeful consensus: yes, please!

Personally, I am for even more flexibilitiy. The problem I have with the “periods” is that for my publications of orc hstral works I need instrument titles in German and, in that language, a period after a number turns it from a numeral into an ordinal. That is, “1.” is the common abbreviation in German for “first”, and Dorico’s options thus give rise to potentially ungrammatical labels without providing a satisfactory solution in German.

David

3 Likes