Getting Halion Sonic VST to play in Cubase fron External Keyboard

I want to use my Korg Triton Extreme as a controller to play and record using Halion Sonic.

1. Korg Midi OUT connected to M-Audio Fast Track Pro Midi IN
  2. Attached is a picture of my setup in Cubase (new to it, Downloaded 3 days ago)
  3. I can play Halion inside Cubase using Mouse but Cubase is not receiving MIDI messages when played through External Korg

I read the forum posts and it looks like this should be possible without getting the PRO version
(I have Element 10)

Thanks for help

Hi and welcome,

On the screenshot, you send the MIDI data back to the Fast Track. If you want to hear the HALion Sonic SE sounds, use the Instrument track, please.

Thanks, Martin. I added an instrument track. But still no luck. I can see that Midi in light on Fast Track Pro blink when I play something on the Korg. So MIDI messages I assume are being transmitted. I am missing something inside Cubase to connect MIDI messages to Halion Sonic on the instrument Track. It is something basic I think. Attaching another screenshot.

Also, even though I can play Halion Sonic using the mouse, nothing Records when I turn the recording on. I tried recording on MIDI as well Instrument Tracks.

A follow-up question. I am using M-Audio Fast Track Pro only because it has MIDI In/Out Ports. I also use YAMAHA USB Mixing Studio MW 8CX which does not have MIDI ports. Does the USB connection to my computer carry the MIDI messages as well? I have the latest drivers “Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO”. I would prefer to use my Yamaha Mixer only if the MIDI is handled by it.

Activate the input monitor.

You can not record MIDI data from the HalionSonic piano roll. You can record MIDI data using the „virtual keyboard“.

Hi,

The MIDI Track, I can see on the screenshot, is not necessary. Use just the Instrument track, please.

Make sure you have any sound loaded in the 1st slot of HALion Sonic SE, please.

Your Yamaha MW 8CX doesn’t have a MIDI In, so you have no chance, how you could send the MIDI data from your KORG Triton to the MW 8CX. Therefore you have to use the Fast Track as the MIDI>USB converter. Doesn’t your KORG also have a USB out, you could use?

Hi Martin,
Thanks for your help (and patience). Let me see if I can summarize

1. I don’t need a MIDI Track, only Instrument Track ---- I did this and loaded sound on Halion Sonic, I can hear the sounds fine using Mouse
  2. I cannot use Yamaha MW 8CX since it has no MIDI ---- That’s why I was using Fast Track Pro, but no luck in getting the sounds when playing KORG (MIDI data comes to Fast Track Pro since lights blink on Fast Track Pro). I am missing something that is preventing me to hear sounds when Korg is played as Controller
  3. Korg Triton Extreme does have a USB that I can connect to my Computer. Would I need different drivers ?

I am looking for a step by step instruction on how to connect an external keyboard controller that can play Halion (and other instruments)

Thanks

Hi,

Great first step.

Please, double check Preferences > MIDI > MIDI Filter. Make sure, nothing has been enabled (but SysEx) here. If you enable any check-box here, it means, the data is filtered out.

Also double-check Studio > Studio Setup. Go thru all devices in the Remote Device folder here, please. Make sure, all Inputs are set to Not Connected, please.

When you are playing your KORG keyboard, can you see the movement of the HALion Sonic SE virtual keyboard, please?

I’m not sure, if KORG Extreme provides the class compliant driver. If yes, then you don’t need any other driver and KORG would appear as a MIDI Input and MIDI Output immediately.

Btw, we are still talking about the scenario to use your KORG as a MIDI controller only. No sound from the KORG synth, right?

" Please, double-check Preferences > MIDI > MIDI Filter. Make sure, nothing has been enabled (but SysEx) here. If you enable any check-box here, it means, the data is filtered out"
— DONE , only SysEx is enabled … See screen shot

“Also double-check Studio > Studio Setup. Go thru all devices in the Remote Device folder here, please. Make sure, all Inputs are set to Not Connected, please”
… DONE , they say Not Connected (see screen shot)

“When you are playing your KORG keyboard, can you see the movement of the HALion Sonic SE virtual keyboard, please?”
… NO … and that’s the problem … MIDI signals come up to Fast Track pro but don’t connect with Cubase Instrument Track

“Btw, we are still talking about the scenario to use your KORG as a MIDI controller only. No sound from the KORG synth, right?”
… YES , Sound I am expecting to hear is from Halion Sonic (not Korg sound), Korg Keyboard should just be a controller

Also, Triton Extreme USB is only for file transfers , no MIDI data (per documentation). So basically with my current hardware, M-Audio Fast Track Pro has to be used, If I can make Cubase to see MIDI messages coming from it

Hi,

Everything looks totally healthy to me.

Can I ask for one more screenshot, please? Studio > Studio Setup > MIDI > MIDI Port Setup. Is the Fast Track MIDI In enabled for the All MIDI Inputs?

Oh no, really? Korg is using USB just for the files transfer? What a pity.

Here is the screen Shot of MIDI set up. Midi Out of Korg is into Midi In of Fast Track Pro

Hi,

Again, it looks totally healthy. Korg MIDI Out to Fast Tracks’s MIDI In sounds also right (even though some manufacturers swap the In/Out, just for sure, I would try to swap it, just for test).

Then the las idea I have (at least for now) is to double-check the KORG Settings. Is the MIDI Data routed to the MIDI Out really?

Hi Martin, It is working now !!! Thanks for your patience and help.
I decided to use my Roland Handsonic as the controller and it worked. So I thought the problem is with Korg. But when I tried with Korg again, it worked.
I have no idea why it didn’t before :angry: . Hey, but all’s well that ends well :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley: Congratulations!

Thanks, Martin, now to a new topic and round of question, how to record a Track using VST :wink:

Hi,

Do you mean Virtual Instrument (VSTi)? Add an Instrument track and hit record.

I would recommend to watch Steinberg Cubase Quick Start Video Tutorials.

Be aware, some menu entries has been renamed since Cubase 10:

• Devices = Studio
  • Device Setup = Studio Setup
  • VST Connections = Audio Connections

So it happened again. Just like that, it stopped working. Since I didn’t know what fixed it last time, I just rebooted the machine and that fixed it.
Updating the thread in case others run into the issue. Good old rebooting the machine solves unexplained problems, sometimes :slight_smile:

Hi everyone,
I had this exact problem today, trying external midi controller working with Halion and in fact with any other VST instrument. After hard look at Cubase preferences, the midi data was not sent to VST instruments because MIDI Thru Active was NOT selected.

For anyone else having this issue see the picture below