Getting internal midi output to record track

Why I am not able to record sound from HALion Sonic’s internal keyboard (played with a mouse) directly on to either an instrument or a midi track, although I can do so either using an external keyboard as midi controller, or even using the mini keyboard available on the Cubase transport window? I can hear the sound from HALion fine, but no blocks register on the record-enabled track, which simply vanishes when I stop recording. Clearly Cubase can “see” HALion fine but for some reason is not routing its output to the record-enabled track.

Is there something I need to set up? I do not think this is a HALion problem incidentally, as the same applies to other synths etc - I can only record their output via an external controller. Nor is it external hardware - same difficulty on my desktop, with no audio interface or controller attached.

I am using Cubase 6.5, fully updated so far as I am aware.

You can not record MIDI output of a VST instrument unless the instrument provides a MIDI output, which can then be chosen as input of a MIDI or instrument track.

AFAIK all internal keyboards are alike.
They are internal to the VSTi so don’t pass through the DAW midi system.

Anyway, do you really need to record with a mouse?! That just sounds awkward.

Either use a midi controller or draw a blank part on the arrange page with the pencil and draw the notes inside there.

If the short answer to this is that it simply can’t be done, fair enough. I just felt like it ought to be possible - the midi output is going somewhere within Cubase because I can hear it, so why not on to the record track?

Anyway, do you really need to record with a mouse?! That just sounds awkward.

No, I’d normally record with the controller and then edit manually as necessary - as you describe below. But it would be useful to be able to drop in the odd note or noise when I am working on the non-connected PC.

Either use a midi controller or draw a blank part on the arrange page with the pencil and draw the notes inside there.

Looks like that is what I will have to do. Thanks :mrgreen:

…or use ALT-K

the midi output is going somewhere within Cubase because I can hear it, so why not on to the record track?

No, the midi output isn’t going anywhere in Cubase. That keyboard is linked directly to the plugin, Cubase doesn’t get to see any of that.

OK. You live and learn :neutral_face: