Gliss for artificial harmonics and gliss spacing

Here are two attempts at a notation I’m trying to create (for violin). Neither looks great to me for all sorts of reasons. I’m hoping there’s a better (possibly built-in?) way to do this in Dorico than I’ve figured out so far. Does anyone have any suggestions?
In the first version, I tried using the built-in gliss object, but I couldn’t find a way to create a second gliss for the fourth finger of the artificial harmonic. So I moved the first gliss up and then inserted a line for the first finger gliss and adjusted in Engrave mode. One strange thing here is that with the built-in gliss, Dorico adjusts the spacing so the second note is much farther (horizontally) from the first than normal. Is there a way to turn this off?
The second version is just two lines I adjusted to look like glisses in Engrave mode. I thought about trying to add gliss text, but I couldn’t figure out how to adjust the size or make it italics to look like the built-in gliss text. Is there a way to do this? (It may be easier to read without text anyway in this situation.)
I’d prefer a more built-in version if possible. My workaround looks ok for now, but I’m worried that when I eventually have to change the score size, the spacing of all this will get messed up and I’ll just have to re-do it.
It’s funny how something so easy and intuitive to play is such a challenge to figure out how to notate :smiley: (the slur and flare look weird to me too…)

I don’t believe there’s an in-built solution for it. But I don’t understand why your real gliss goes through the note. Might be because you hide the note head

It’s supposed to be a transcription of this audio demo, in case that clarifies things. I don’t think I’ve come up with the best way to represent it yet. With the headless eighth, I was trying to show that your finger is in the process of glissing at the moment you rip your bow off the string. But maybe there’s a better way to show that…I’m open to suggestions.

Hi there

I had a listen.

The glissando lines should not go past the accent, and I think you need a staccato as well. I would not use the flared hairpin, and would start both the gliss. and hairpin later. Along with the accent, I think this would accurately represent the audio.

I’ve also assumed from your notation that the destination pitch of the gliss. isn’t to be specified (this could be a wrong assumption). In any case I’d want to see a written pitch, shown in parentheses to imply that it is approximate.

Something a bit like this, which I did in Another Software which I happened to have open:
Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 16.37.58

Hope that is a bit helpful
Jeremy

1 Like

Thank you @JHughes ! I like that solution. (Yes you are correct that the destination pitch of the gliss is not important.) Here’s my attempt at it in Dorico. I did it using lines again and engrave mode. The lines unfortunately are a mess in the parts, so I’ll have to fix that later.
vlngl

I also just tried doing it with the “lift (straight)” ornament, thinking it might be a more built-in Dorico solution and therefore translate better to the parts. But the lines weren’t in the right position, and I wasn’t able to move them independently in Engrave mode to get them there. I’m not sure if that’s a Dorico issue or user error…

I would definitely put x note heads on the destination note if pitch is not important and if rythmical precision is needed, I would write something like a dotted quarter note tied to an eight where the gliss starts. I cannot listen to you excerpt now, so not sure it’s the rhythm you want

Thanks! Like this?

I like this one too (though the x is slightly weird with the harmonic, but it is clearer that it shouldn’t be a real pitch). The rhythm doesn’t matter that much since it is played out of time anyway, so I figured out that if I alter it, I can actually use the built-in gliss function. It let me put in 2 glisses this time, which it didn’t before! The added space that the built-in gliss creates doesn’t bother me in this particular version of the notation. But I would still like to have the option to turn that off in other scenarios.

Hi,

In Engraving Options>Glissando Lines you can change the “Minimum horizontal span for glissando lines”.

1 Like

Amazing! @rafaelv thank you, that’s exactly what I was looking for! Do you know if there’s a way to change the spacing for some types of glisses but not others (without doing it by adjusting the note spacing for each one in engrave mode)? I’ve found that in many situations, glisses really do need the extra space to make them legible. But in other situations (see attached example, space after the first note), the extra space looks awkward and confusing.

None that i’m aware of.

Thinking it over, I would probably erased the end note, leaving just the starting harmonic and the gliss up. Might even use a jazz symbol like a rip instead of a gliss. I think the intention would be clearer.

@Coati Hi! Found your post by accident. May I ask how you made the boxes? 2 custom lines for top and bottom with beginning and end hooks?