Glissando line at page turn

This seems to be related to a number of other issues with lines crossing a page/system boundary.

I have a harp glissando that happens to start in the last measure of a page, and continues to the 1st measure of the next page.
The beginning of the glissando line appears fine.
The problem is the end of that glissando line… it’s entirely missing from the 2nd page.

is this a known bug? or an issue with how I am trying to input the glissando?

if I keep both start and end notes of the glissando in the same staff (either upper or lower), then the line appears as it should.
however, if the starting note and ending note are in different staves, the line does not appear in the next measure.

I’ve attached an image.

(For previous discussion on this topic, see Mike’s Facebook post here)

(sorry, I forgot to link back to FB)

This is indeed a known limitation at the moment (our ref: STEAM-10079). It’s not currently scheduled for anybody to work on, but I agree that it’s something that does definitely need to be addressed in the future.

2 Likes

ok, thanks.
I guess I can live with that tiny bit of line missing in the orchestral score. It’s sadly at an impossible spot where I can’t move measures around to alleviate the problem.
But at least the harp part itself is fine.

I understand this is a limitation in Dorico (which really needs to be addressed). But is there a way to do a work around?

you could probably add a simple line and drag it in engrave mode, but then there WILL be differences between score and part (particularly if the system/frame breaks don’t occur at the same places as in the score)

Further to @Michel_Edward’s post, it would be easy to drag one of lines off the page in Engrave mode if you choose to do it this way.

1 Like

this would work if local rather than global were chosen for that particular edit?

when a glissando line starts on the lower staff of a grand staff and ends on the upper staff of that grand staff, where the gliss line straddles a page turn or system break, the line leaving the bottom note is fine, but the line that should “arrive” at the final note of the gliss does not appear.

Jut to be clear, if both starting and ending notes of the gliss are in the same staff, there is no issue. this only happens when the two notes are in different staves of the grand staff.

It plays back fine, the issue isn’t there.
It’s purely a graphic one.

thanks, I know it’s on one of the burners there, back or front, but don’t forget about it.
:blush:

1 Like

I’ve moved your post to the most recent thread in which you’ve previously posted about this. We know this needs to be addressed, but I can’t say for sure when it will be looked at.

1 Like

I can’t find the other thread mentioned, but I have the same issue of course. However in Dorico 5 there is the tiniest near invisible stub of a line on the next page and using Engrave Mode you can resize it and move it and it looks excellent. Somewhat strange, but I’ll live with it - works fine, it you can spot this tiny dot that looks like dust in the monitor.

1 Like

oh!!!

I’m going to have to check this out then!!!

No luck, I can’t find that tiniest near invisible stub of line. :frowning:

I zoomed in as far as I can, and still nothing in Engrave mode.

You sure you’re not just glissing over it?

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve tried glissing, portamenting, voice-leading, and even “just graphic lining”… nothing seems to work.

but yeah, can’t find those tiny nubs of gliss on the 2nd page.