Glissando line with accidental (and a possible BUG(?) report)

I am trying to create a wiggley line with accidentals on it, intended for things like “gliss. only on white keys / black keys” (on the piano). Currently the way I do it is by copy&pasting a natural symbol into the text field. That works so far, but not when text is horizontal (see BUG(?) report below).

Is there any other way to add naturals, bes or crosses to a glissando line? How do you guys solve this problem?

Thank you!

BUG(?) report:

As soon as “Keep text horizontal” is selected, the background is not erased (sufficiently) anymore. A little video showcasing this is attached.

I would understand if background wouldn’t work on special symbols (inserted via copy&paste into the text field), but since it works, when not horizontal, I thought this might be worth reporting.

@dspreadbury (hope it’s ok to ping you directly?)

You could create a line annotation that comprises a natural glyph, and create a line with that annotation set to be centered automatically.

Also, if you input your horizontal lines with the start/end attachment points set to “noteheads”, they’ll follow the noteheads automatically: you won’t have to offset their start/end points manually.

1 Like

Wow! There is a universe of options there I haven’t come across yet! Amazing!!!

However: the problem of erasing the background, when “Keep text horizontal” is active, remains the same, also with text-based annotations. I add screenshots of my settings and an exaggerated result.

// Settings

// Result
Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-02 um 12.47.43

Another screenshot of a “normal” annotation (one that is not kept horizontally) shows that the staff behind the symbol is only partially erased, not what one would expect after configuring all those options.
That is probably by default, as I read in some other posts on this forum, but – if I may say – it is not what I would expect.

Can you attach a project containing these lines? I’m unable to reproduce the problems you show here, so there must be some other combination of settings that I’m not using.

Thank you, @dspreadbury !

gliss-example-for-daniel.dorico (704.9 KB)

Thanks for sending the example. Dorico’s actually doing the designed thing here, which is to create an erasure the same height as the line itself, but I think I agree that it doesn’t look optimal in every situation, and we’ll take a look at adjusting this in future.

1 Like

Working with extreme paddings shows that it works. It even erases other lines as shown in the little video. Just not the “own” line element. Maybe it is just a zIndex problem? Or is there a use-case that would justify why the element itself is not erased (or “covered by a white square”)? (Just thinking out loud…)