glissando symbol in musicXML shifts all notes behind itself

Hi,

A glissando symbol in musicXML shifts all notes behind itself.

It seems to be a restriction or a bug of Dorico since Finale correctly reads it.
Untitled_.musicxml.zip (4.68 KB)

I don’t know what you mean by “shifts all notes behind itself”. Can you please try to explain a bit more clearly?

I think the suggestion is that Finale arpeggio starts before the beat while in Dorico it begins on the beat.
I have no idea whether this is true or not.

I wrote wrong.
The glissando symbol in musicXML shifts all notes behind itself.

I am attaching the screenshot of it. In the attachment, the score above is the attached musicXML file read by Dorico 3, and the score below is the attached musicXML file read by Finale. Please compare the position in the bars and beats of the notes in the connected boxes.

Sorry, but the MusicXML is incomplete. The upper harp staff only encodes two beats, then nothing until the next bar. The lower harp staff encodes only three beats, then nothing until the next bar. The bar doesn’t add up, so Dorico has to try to make sense of the incomplete information. Perhaps you can re-export the MusicXML file from Finale after adding the correct missing rests to that bar.

Thank you for the explanation! I will follow your instruction.
However, it is strange that Finale correctly imports the musicXML.

I am not a musicXML expert, but does muscXML not include the beat and the bar of each note? I still not tried to hack musicXML file structure. Sorry if I am wrong.

On a general note: Finale has two native methods to check for underfilled (or overfilled) bars:

1. Utilities/Check Notation…/FIll with rests
  2. Plug-ins/Note, Beam and Rest editing/Check Region for Durations…

It is highly recommended to run those before exporting XML for use in Dorico. Better to hide rests in Dorico after import if need be…

Having the correct number of beats in the XML file can also help avoiding strange Dorico errors, such as missing Time Signature changes on condensing staves etc. …

The native check routines above do NOT check for errors WITHIN tuplets, so suspect tuplets should be checked manually. (Errors within (Finale) tuplets is probably the most common source of problems when importing into Dorico…)

No. It assumes the notes and rests follow sequentially after each other, unless there is an instruction to jump to a new rhythmic position.

Finale has been notorious for not caring about bars with the wrong length right from version 1. But they can’t easily fix that without breaking thousands of old Finale that “look right” when you print them even though the math doesn’t make sense.

@Rob and @fratveno

Thank you very much for the explanation!