Global Analysis find Peaks not working as I think it should

I have been getting weird results from the find peaks.
Yes, I read the documentation.

And the Master Rig can be dangerous. If you decided you want to compare to a factory preset…Boom. All the previous information is lost. (Please don’t do that).
Also, it looks like you can only select 1 factory presets when you should, in my mind, be able to select 4 different factory presets.

See video

http://peteotto.com/2020/02/21/wavelabs-find-peaks/

Thanks for the video, it makes things easier to spot.
But I don’t think these a bugs, but misunderstandings:

1. You forget one parameter, which is “Minimum Time Between 2 peaks”, which is 10 seconds on your video.
    The function is not about finding the 10 highest peaks in the file, else they would probably be located around the same place.
    Instead, the peak in the first 10 seconds is reported, then the next peak withing the next 10 second frame is reported, etc…

2. Though I am not an expert of this plugin, I understand that the “presets” you show are “sub-presets” within a global preset. Understand them as “variations” of a global preset.
    When you select a global preset, they are all replaced, because that global preset contains all these variations (which is good). If you save a preset, all these variations are saved along.

Thanks PG.

My fault, I thought that was 10 nano seconds.
Minimum Time Between 2 peaks”. Search for a peak every 10 seconds…Who would want this option? Wouldn’t a threshold be a better option?

As for the global factory presets, I just find it dangerous. It will wipe out everything you have. I know there is a history, but still.

Thanks clearing things up.

Pete

“Minimum Time Between 2 peaks”. Search for a peak every 10 seconds…Who would want this option? Wouldn’t a threshold be a better option?

It’s interesting to navigate though the different parts of the file, and see what the peaks are, there. Are they much different from one place to the other, could be interesting.

This setting, 10 sec by default, is customizable, down to 100 milliseconds.

Ehm, here [raises hand]. 10 seconds is perfect for raw stereo mixes in my setup, where I mix from Cubase into WL and can easily spot where - pre-mastering - the peaks are. I use this to find peaks that I wasn’t expecting from the mix, for instance where in an otherwise low verse area, one percussive hit sticks out. Especially in acoustic recordings (where compression/limiting is usually not part of my toolbox for mixing) this is a very handy feature.