Go to left locator - auto-scroll problem

I posted it higher up, same as yours.

I mean you wrote “9: Result?” at the end of it but didn’t write the result :slight_smile:

I know. Steve asked for repro steps. I wrote the steps up to number 9, where the user would have to share their result.

Also launched: Cubase 8.5, Cubase 10. Same behaviour.

1 Like

Sorry guys,
I want to create a bug report to send to Steinberg, but this is not specific enough.

This does not happen here, but I have seen this (I think).

If I can get answers to my questions I’ll see if I can make a bug report for the bug database.

@MortenT

• Have you disabled preferences to test this?
  • does the Auto-scroll icon change color?

That’s astonishing!

Well, I don’t really know if the exact same thing.

Would a gif help?

Not really. the problem is clear, but reproducing it isn’t. I’m assuming all my posts in this topic have been read.

You say you don’t repro the issue.
Does this mean the view does go to to the left locator for you?

Yes, exactly, and I have had this precise problem in the past, please read my earlier posts

So, what can we do here? With disabled preferences and 3rd party plugins, AND suspend autoscroll disabled, we cannot have it work.

Can you suggest a direction for me, to look into this further?

Edit: the scroll icon does not change color.

I still await a proper repro.

Specify the setting for Suspend Auto-Scroll when Editing also

When you launch Cubase, is Suspend Auto-Scroll when Editing active by default, or is it supposed to remember its last state before the last quit?

I don’t know what the default is.

It should remember its state, which is shown by a checkmark in its menu

Well, that’s one problem right here. For me, no matter what state I leave it at, when I launch Cubase and create a new project it’s always checked.

Whatever. If someone wants to troubleshoot this exact thing, great – I’ll report. If not that’s cool too.

Sorry to frustrate you steve.

Let’s look at this from a different angle. Forget about locators. Let’s do this with a single marker. No playback is involved at any stage.

1. In an empty project, insert a marker at bar 2.
  2. Scroll forward with Shift+Mousewheel so that you don’t have bar 2 on the screen.
  3. Click on the Jump To Marker 1 Button from the Transport Bar.
  4. Observe how the Project cursor is now at bar 2, and how it is also in view on screen.
  5. Scroll forward with Shift+Mousewheel so that you don’t have bar 2 on the screen.
  6. Click on the Jump To Marker 1 Button from the Transport Bar.
  7. Observe how the view has not returned to bar 2. The project cursor is still on bar 2 though, from step 3.

Now. The command does what it says on the tin. It’s under the “Transport” category, so that probably means its only job is to take the project cursor to where it should be.

The question is, should the command also bring the cursor in view even in those cases where the cursor is already at its proper position?

2 Likes

Precisely said.
If “go to xxx” is meaning only the cursor, then why did the view follow at first.
It should be consistent.
In my opinion it should be cursor + viewpoint.
Perhaps this is a feature request more than a bug. But it does bug me :wink:

1 Like

Now I think I understand.

The way it seems to work is if the cursor is not in view, using move to locator or marker won’t move the view to that location until play is hit or autoscroll is toggled. It seems to be specified like that- though I don’t really like it.

@Martin.Jirsak any thoughts?

2 Likes

But this statement is not always true. If you had a second marker out of view, but NOT EQUAL to current project position (for example at bar 3 instead of 2 of the example), the view would happily change if you gave the “Jump to Marker 2” command. (because the cursor would have to move from 2 to 3, and the view would move with it too.)

It’s as if view-scrolling is only a consequence/byproduct of the cursor moving, and not a different function that occurs simultaneously and independently. If the cursor is already there, a jump-to-there command will not bother with the view. In other words , what we have now is: “IF cursor moves → Move view to cursor.”

For me, this behavior that we are discussing here (that we want and we’re not getting) would make sense only with Auto-Scroll Enabled. That’s because there is the use case of someone intentionally zooming in an event for editing, and using a marker juuust off-screen to the left for resuming playback. In that case it would be annoying to have the view change from the intentionally zoomed event to the set marker. But with Auto-Scroll Disabled this should not be a problem at all.

1 Like