In about a month, I plan on moving my production system back over to PC from MAC.
Currently I have a 2009 Neilhiem Mac Pro:
CPU: Xeon W3520 2.66GHz (Single Processor)
RAM: 16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB
Main Storage: 640GB SATA
1TB Baracuda Drive for EWQL Library
320GB Drive - Tape Storage
External 160GB HDD
External Firewire 1TB LaCIE Drive
Considering the limited (and expensive >_>) upgrade path that the current generation Mac Pro’s provide, personally I don’t see any sense in continuing this way if Apple is going to treat there creatives this way. Much more cost effective to switch back. And with Windows 10 being a pretty stable (for me for the most part) experience, I think I’d have a better time scale wise in the long run.
Here’s the new prospect build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor (will overclock to 4.1GHz)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Quad Channel Memory
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
Main Storage: Intel 600p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
- Western Digital Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (also will try to use an existing 128GB SSD Drive as a cache for this drive)
- Existing 2TB Platter Drive
- External storage containers from above
Q1. First off, any suggestions?
A few notes:
- Yes, I realize that I will loose the “benefits” of ECC RAM. But based on my reading, the 0.5% chance of flipped bit errors is negligible, not to mention the increased efficiency and quality of today’s RAM anyway.
- Yes I know I could go dual Xeon, but it seems its more efficient to go with fewer faster cores than more slower cores for the overall use of the system; also in consideration of Adobe which actually hinders you from too many cores and a great GPU which I’d be using this system for as well, as well as gaming. Still, multi-core processing does very well with this CPU in comparison to other similar consumer grade processors at this price range. And yes, I will be water cooling.
Q2. I’ve been upgrading Cubase since version 5 on my Mac and I would REALLY not like to loose my templates and sounds that came with the Cubase packages, such as the groove agent samples, etc. When I finish the build, I’ll also be upgrading to Cubase 9 at the same time. I currently have Cubase 8. Since I have Cubase installed on my Mac, is there any way I can transfer at least the sound libraries over from the Mac install to my PC? Or will I pretty much have to do a complete reinstall back from Cubase 5, 6, 7, 8 and finally 9 on my new PC to get everything back again?
Thanks guys and gals!