Good Jazz horn section VSTi?

Hi all,
I need a nice Jazz horn section (tp/tb/saxes) for a project and was wondering if anybody had recommendations?
I’d prefer 64 bit and a grown up interface, and of course it needs to play nice with Cubase… :smiley:
Looking forward to your reactions!

Best,
Benji

Aloha B,

Not so much ‘Jazz’ per se (that ‘Blue Note’ records sound) but here is a thread about
‘blues horns sections’ 3rd party VSTi’s (ala Tower of Power etc) used with Cubase.

It may (or may not) shed some light on your question.

Good Luck!
{‘-’}

Curteye,
Great thread, thanks!

Cheers,
Benji

NI Session Horns sound great (£89) hear the demos here: Cinematic : Session Horns | Komplete

There’s a pro version as well for about £180 - but I don’t know what the difference is.

If you can be bothered to wait a bit NI usually do 50% off deals about once a quarter.

I just bought Chris Hein’s Horns Pro, just Vol. 2 with the full sections only. I’ll report back with my findings!

Cheers and thanks for all your input!
Benji

1 Like

Dear all,
I literally installed the package 2 hours ago, assigned the outs, configured my routing and made three MIDI tracks pointing to the section pieces in the multi patch.
Using a funk lick from EZ Keys, I distributed that to the sections (Saxes are pretty busy…) and assigned a few articulations from the provided (!) Expression Maps.
Here’s the quick and dirty result: SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

I like what I’m hearing. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Benji

P.S.: Now it’s time to get out of the studio and blow some candles and eat some cake… :wink:

Hi,

Sounds very good to me mate!

Bit like a TV Theme Tune!

Paul

Sounds very good!

I’ll upload a version with just the horns soon, so you can check what’s going on! Concerning your comment on SC…
B.

Hi,

Obviously you prefer the CH HORNS to the MOJO!?

Paul

MJL,
I don’t own the Mojo package, but right out of the box CHH were great! So I can’t really compare, but I really needed something working quick…

Hi,

Ok, I thought that maybe you had listened to the MOJO demonstrations (amongst others) before deciding upon the CH HORNS.

Sounds like you really got your new VST sorted! :slight_smile:

Paul

Paul,
actually, I DID listen to the Mojo demos and thought they sounded awesome! I then found out that the CHH packages can be bought in pieces, and since I only needed the full sections at this point (and not the solo instruments), it was more economical to buy only Vol. 2 of the CHH. Plus, they sounded great on their demos as well.
For me it was just nice to see that I could get some nice results with just a few articulations and no tweaking. And he provides ready-to-go expression maps!

Cheers,
Benji

Hello Benji,

That is interesting to know mate, thanks. I am glad you rate the MOJO HORNS (I would have been surprised if you had not). I listened to them around 2 x years ago but I am not sure if anything has been updated/modified? I have always said that if I ever purchased a BRASS/SAX vst then it would be the MOJO.

But I was interested to hear that the CHH features, if I am correct, a SECTIONS ONLY package? This might be useful if it is as easy to use as you say it it? Plus your SC demo was quite excellent. Whereas, I anticipate, the MOJO might need a lot of configuring (which I don’t want to end up getting bogged down with. I have other computer issues at present which need addressing without bring on anymore! lol)

Paul

Yes, in the CHH store there’s Vol. 1-4, each of which can be bought separately…
Cheers,
Benji

Hi,

Ta mate, I will have another look at their site over the weekend.

With the MOJO, I can’t remember if it runs on the FREE Kontakt 5 Player (I think it is called)?

Paul

Hi,

I am not sure either mate. But they do sound really good!

Paul