GPU powered VST's

Just saw this posted on Reddit:-

Looks a really interesting concept, anyone know much else about it? Tried it maybe?

My only thought is that more and more people are using integrated graphics in their computers. I have no plans to add an eGPU to mine, so I don’t know what use GPU-powered plugs would be to me.

There’s a huge shortage of GPUs due to massive demand right now. Nvidia are reporting large revenues and can’t keep up because of this.

If you look at the bitcoin miners who place GPU cards in racks and utilise them for efficient processing power - if VST’s could run within an expandable rack away from your main CPU, i think it’s quite an exciting proposition.

Maybe not for the likes of myself, i can manage within a modern i7/i9 quite comfortably and like to move between laptop and desktop machines. And as you, i have integrated in my desktop, and i disable the GTX in my laptop to save battery.

But for big score/very high sample rate composers, in fixed studio locations - this could be really good alternative to using VE Pro on slave hardware - as it’s all controllable from the one DAW.

I Was hoping that someone here may have applied to be a tester for them.

Also found this while surfing the net.

Sounds :wink: interesting.

Here they state how this is gonna start. FREE PLUGIN ALERT - GPU Powered Plugins from GPU AUDIO 🔥 - YouTube

Initially a Beta-Phase. Windows and Nvidia only. Mid 2022 a certain set of plugins (details unkown) MacOS and AMD-Graphics to follow.

I have signed up to give it a try.

LG, Juergi

Would be great to hear how this works with Cubase, be sure to post back here if you do!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

:here it comes :slight_smile:

Hah I saw watched this yesterday, forgot about this thread.

Things are looking very interesting, indeed.

That’s a really interesting concept, but their convolution reverb uses 95 to 97% of an RTX 3080. It’ll be interesting to see how it handles multiple plugins running at once.

Stumbled across this vid of a new company who are trying to harness GPU processing power for DAWs with impressive results already (if 40x performance improvement is true) as well as a pretty cool roadmap for developemtn. Seems to me like a lot of potential (I have no connection to them at all, just posting here as I love the idea and think DAW manufacturers could take note / work with them). Anyone else heard of these guys / would like to see cubase work alongside them with their plugins / DAW capabilities?

Sonic state vid explaining in more detail:

GPU - Audio site

GPU powered VST’s - Steinberg Lounge - Steinberg Forums

That is a crazy amount of GPU usage for one convolution verb.

Interesting, wonder how that will fit with the silicon Macs and the 32 core GPUs

Somone tried it, or got a hint on documentation how VST3 within cubase could be executet on GPU Audio engine. Is it even possible right now?

As far as technology goes i think some ppl don’t understand what a great thing this would be.
I would think you could compare a 4080 card with 16GB of GDDR6 and 9728 Compute units at 2.7 GHz (48.7 TFFLOPS @ single precision )to about how many SHARK Cores (500MHz 3.0GFLOPS per core)

I would thnk this could be like 16k SHARK Cores if they get this right. (Someone correct me if my math is wrong) And everything with a 1ms latency.
Like how many Apollo units would you need to have 16000 SCHARK cores??

If steinberg were the first DAW manufacturer to have their system take hold of GPU processing it would be a massive deal. The amount of plugin processing that could be handled by GPUs appears to be incredible.

1 Like