GR meters in MixConsole Channel (like StudioOne)

Shameless bump. Its still a good idea… :wink:

(Loving it in Studio One)

+1

I didn’t get the idea at all. M.b. screenshot from PT or SO?

+1

The screenshot is from Cubase.

[EDIT] DMG Audio latest TrackComp v1.02 now supports their GR meters in StudioOne’s channel

+1

+1

[EDIT - see post below, 04 Sept 2018]
Update:- DMG Audio have now added support for this across its whole range of (applicable) plugins

(also seen in ProTools, Harrison Mixbus, Logic(?), Digital Performer, Bitwig(?) and coming soon in Reaper…)

+1

+1

As far as I can tell, Steinberg did not do a downgrade. The gain reduction meters only works when you use the 3 compressor types that are built into the channel strip in the mixconsole. The gain reduction meters don’t display for any insert plugins. I’ve only just discovered these gain reduction meters today, and in Cubase 9.5

Well, well… I stand corrected…! That’s a good catch @squidcluster

I took the time to go and re-check stuff on Cubase v8.0, 9.0 and 9.5 - I must have lost the plot along the way, thinking I’d used a stock compressor as insert from the outset, when as noted, this has only ever worked with the Channel Strip tools…!

Am going to go back and edit some of those earlier posts, so other folk reading this thread, don’t get the wrong idea… :blush: Apologies to SB too :slight_smile:

BUT, the main Feature Request remains:-

1. these should be brought into the MixConsole Channel Fader/Meter area and
  2. made to work with SB stock and 3rd party plugins, on the inserts (like PT, StudioOne, Reaper, etc…)

puma

Was in Studio One a bit lately - these are (still) a useful feature… spotted a wayward harmony vocal I’d forgotton to adjust… unnerved me a little as it may well have gone unnoticed…

2022 and bumping, but…

+1…

1 Like

Yep, this is always good for a bump in my view @MattiasNYC:slight_smile:

And once again, I’ll point to ready-prepared code to implement reporting of GR, done by Presonus, is still available and offered for free to Plug-in devs/Host devs to adapt to their particular needs:-
Developer | PreSonus Software
(scroll down to ‘Plug-in Extensions’ section for documentation and API files)

This could save a deal of effort on SB’s part - particularly where 3rd party plugin support is concerned - i.e. there would be no imposition (on 3rd party devs) to re-invent the wheel, in order to accommodate any new ‘proprietary’ Steinberg implementation. As in where they’ve done GR meters support already, for the ‘Channel Strip’ FX, in the MixConsole MeterBridge - see GIF in first post of this thread.

And now included at Reaper v7 (just released) as a user selectable option per track, I believe… for those plugins (3rd party or native) that support reporting their GR to the host.
GR meters_reaper

Nice.

Another bump to this. I would love to see GR meters in Cubase mix console!!! I have voted but maybe someone could edit the Cubase 9 tag, since this applies to all versions and is a feature request.

2 Likes

I guess it works because in Reaper any track is also a channel.
In Cubase, however, a track can contain one or several channels (VST instruments with multiple outputs). Hmmm… maybe they can display the data for the channel that is currently selected in that track.
That is somehwat related to render-in-place. Currently all channels get rendered but some users would like only the selected channel to be rendered.

Well, I don’t know Reaper. The way it ‘appears to’ work there and in S1, ProTools, Logic, Mixbus, etc, is all the request is about.

On a side-note, Presonus made their host-based ‘extension’ available (free) to anyone who wants it, which would allow 3rd party plugins that report their GR back to the host, to display that GR as desired.

In other words, SB need not waste resource reinventing the wheel here - meaning 3rd party devs not having to adopt yet another mechanism, just for SB hosts. They could just take the Presonus solution and plumb that in to Cubendo (Presonus even provide helpful code example of how to implement that.!) and the 3rd party plugins would just work.

That’s my (loosely informed) theory anyway. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Good point.!

Sadly, the thread was started back in 2017 and my ability to edit that OP no longer exists. Would need a mods intervention… dare I take the liberty to tag in @steve or @Martin.Jirsak to help/advise please.?

EDIT - and the tag has been removed.! Thanks @steve

1 Like