GR meters in MixConsole Channel (like StudioOne)

Meter Bridge GR (Gain Reduction) meters in the MixConsole:-
Meter bridge - GR meters.gif
Channel Faders:-
Channel faders_no GR meters.gif
Like they’ve already done in StudioOne and ProTools. Quick, useful visual aids. And, not just for SB own in-house FX/ChannelStrip FX - 3rd party plugins are taking advantage also (FabFilter, Klanghelm). Would be especially good in the new ‘Lower Zone’ facility, when working in one window

Cheers,
puma

PS:- also seen in ProTools, Harrison Mixbus, Logic(?), Digital Performer, Bitwig(?)

5 Likes

+1 would love to see this

+1

+1

+1

Shameless bump. Its still a good idea… :wink:

(Loving it in Studio One)

+1

I didn’t get the idea at all. M.b. screenshot from PT or SO?

+1

The screenshot is from Cubase.

[EDIT] DMG Audio latest TrackComp v1.02 now supports their GR meters in StudioOne’s channel

+1

+1

[EDIT - see post below, 04 Sept 2018]
Update:- DMG Audio have now added support for this across its whole range of (applicable) plugins

(also seen in ProTools, Harrison Mixbus, Logic(?), Digital Performer, Bitwig(?) and coming soon in Reaper…)

+1

+1

As far as I can tell, Steinberg did not do a downgrade. The gain reduction meters only works when you use the 3 compressor types that are built into the channel strip in the mixconsole. The gain reduction meters don’t display for any insert plugins. I’ve only just discovered these gain reduction meters today, and in Cubase 9.5

Well, well… I stand corrected…! That’s a good catch @squidcluster

I took the time to go and re-check stuff on Cubase v8.0, 9.0 and 9.5 - I must have lost the plot along the way, thinking I’d used a stock compressor as insert from the outset, when as noted, this has only ever worked with the Channel Strip tools…!

Am going to go back and edit some of those earlier posts, so other folk reading this thread, don’t get the wrong idea… :blush: Apologies to SB too :slight_smile:

BUT, the main Feature Request remains:-

1. these should be brought into the MixConsole Channel Fader/Meter area and
  2. made to work with SB stock and 3rd party plugins, on the inserts (like PT, StudioOne, Reaper, etc…)

puma

Was in Studio One a bit lately - these are (still) a useful feature… spotted a wayward harmony vocal I’d forgotton to adjust… unnerved me a little as it may well have gone unnoticed…

2022 and bumping, but…

+1…

1 Like

Yep, this is always good for a bump in my view @MattiasNYC:slight_smile:

And once again, I’ll point to ready-prepared code to implement reporting of GR, done by Presonus, is still available and offered for free to Plug-in devs/Host devs to adapt to their particular needs:-
Developer | PreSonus Software
(scroll down to ‘Plug-in Extensions’ section for documentation and API files)

This could save a deal of effort on SB’s part - particularly where 3rd party plugin support is concerned - i.e. there would be no imposition (on 3rd party devs) to re-invent the wheel, in order to accommodate any new ‘proprietary’ Steinberg implementation. As in where they’ve done GR meters support already, for the ‘Channel Strip’ FX, in the MixConsole MeterBridge - see GIF in first post of this thread.