Grace note slurs

I know this has been discussed here before but I’m looking for more opinions. When the grace note leaps up from low to a high note, Is it ever acceptable to put the slur from above like so (disregarding fine adjustments for now)?
I don’t like the look of the slur going to the stem or through the stem to the note head but I would bow to wiser engravers. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
This a viola line

Yes, slur above is fine. I often see this in string parts, especially when it’s a chord. Dorico doesn’t do it by default only because the grace note being stem-up determines the slur position.

1 Like

I’d put it past the notehead, certainly. I don’t know if that’s contentious, but something like this seems to do the job of connecting the two notes.

1 Like

speaking as a violist. having the slur under is not incorrect either and might aide in quick reading by helping the player finger the passage on the fly. (assuming you’re in alto clef). playing 1 on the grace note D and 2(B)& open D. having the slur above indicates a connection between the D’s which is doable but creates a big shift to play the chord in position. imho

1 Like

Thank you Mark, Ben and Tom. Those are all excellent and helpful suggestions. I’m reluctant to assign a solution checkmark because I’m still interested in any other opinions (more out of curiosity).