Grace period eligibility

Hi,

It’s because currently you would get an upgrade from Cubase 10 to Cubase 10.5. So at this moment the Grace Period is valid for Cubase 10 (or older) version.

^^^
Thanks

I need to first buy the Cubase 10 upgrade to Version 10.5.
Then register but not activate version 10.5
Then check my grace period at

It will then state “grace period updates are available for Cubase 10.5”
Then around the release of Cubase 11 during the grace period activate version 10.5.

Did I get this right?

No. As written several times now already:

1. Buy the update to 10.5
  2. Keep the license download code somewhere you will find it later
  3. Do nothing until Cubase 11 is releaased
  4. When Cubase 11 is released download and activate the license for the 10.5 update - that will give you a grace period update to Cubase 11

That all given the fact that the Grace period system is kept the way it is now by Steinberg. And you have not yet had a grace period update before.

My question was primarily about the “Check entitlement”

I entered my eLicenser number and got
“grace period updates are available for Cubase 10”

I suppose it means that we know you have Cubase 10 and if you buy Cubase 10.5 you will qualify for the Grace Period update to Cubase 11.
I can make that leap in judgment but all was looking for was some re-assurance.

Re-read some of the posts. Thanks to all for your input.

Hi,

It’s strange, that you get the “grace period updates are available for Cubase 10” message. Are you sure you have a license for Cubase 10 already? If yes, then I wouldn’t expect this message.

To me this message sounds like currently you have a license for older Cubase version (like Cubase 9.5 for example) and you could get Cubase 10 for free (because you activated your Cubase 9.5 license after Cubase 10 announcement). This is how do I understand the message.

Thanks for your concern about the meaning of my grace period message.

Yes, I had 9.5 and got 10.0 for free during the Grace period.

To be sure I opened and checked my Cubase and it is 10.0.50
On my Steinberg account it it shows Cubase Pro 10.
What is the Grace Period message others with Cubase Pro 10 are getting?

I accidentally hit “reactivate license”. Would that damage anything?

Hi,

License reactivation makes sense for Cubase, which is activated on the Soft-eLicenser.

I think you have a misconception of the grace period. You even don’t need any grace period for what you want to do.
Read here: Next Cubase update promotion - #9 by Anando - Cubase - Steinberg Forums
or more here: Are you ready for 10.5 ? - #90 by Anando - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

I am getting a headache…

Same here…

It is not complicated. It just seems to be hard to “klick in”. People confuse the grace period with something else. They most often ask about and want to do something where the grace period is completely irrelevant.

Maybe it is misleading that Steinberg (understandably…) talks about a “Cubase 10.5 Update sale” when in fact they sell license updates from existing licenses to any other version in future at the time of the activation of your bought license update.

In other words: You don’t buy a Cubase update license. You buy a Cubase license update. Two different things. You don’t buy a license for Cubase 10.5. You buy a license update from your current version. What Cubase version you actually get depends on the time of the activation of the license update you bought. All this has nothing to do with any grace period. The grace period is only applicable for licenses that are already activated.

Well, confusion lurks everywhere, so maybe a narrative will help. Listen to this dialogue, I accidentally picked up at the barbershop earlier:

»Hi Bawkeahrs(*)! I have a Cubase 10 license activated. I am now looking for a particularly low priced way to get Cubase 11, maybe even later versions. Can the current sale help here?«
»Yes.«
»How?«
»You buy the update that fits your current version. Look in the shop, the price depends on the version you already have activated.«
»As I told you, I have Cubase 10 activated.«
»Fine, dude, that would be 'bout 40 bucks for you. Buy that. But don’t activate!«
»Huh?«
»After buying the correct update, you will get an activation code. Just remember this code, write it down, pin it on your fridge. But don’t open the eLicenser Software and use this code to update your license.«

Later this day.
»I have bought the update from 10.0. I got the code. Did nothing else. And now?«
»Nothing. Just wait.«
»For what?«
»You want Cubase 11 cheap?«
»Man, I already told you! I wanna be smart and save some money. Me want it cheap, yes. How?«
»You just wait until it is released.«
»I heard people talking about a grace period? So I wait just shortly before it is released?«
»If you say ‘grace period’ again, I will hit you brutally with my rhythm stick. The f’ck’n grace period doesn’t apply here! You wait until Cubase 11 is officially released.«
»So I ignore the grace period?»

Thumbb. Loud screaming. Some nasty words.

»Okay, man, got it. I will wait until official release of Cubase 11, maybe even a week after that, to be save. And then?«
»And then you pick the code from your fridge, enter that in the eLicenser Software to update your license, download Cubase 11, install it. Start it. Have fun.«
»That is all?«
»Yep. If Steinberg doesn’t change policy, that is all. And why should they change it, knowing that I would hit them collectively and brutally with my rhythm stick.«
»Nice, man! Can I even be ubersmart and get Cubase 12 this way?«
»If you can stand it to wait until end of maybe 2022, carefully taking care of the code on the fridge until then? Yes, this should work.«
»Wow! And if I want 10.5 now and 11 additionally later? Maybe some more tricks? Using the grace period or something e…«

Ka-Thumbb!!1!-Ka. Louder screaming. Some even more nasty words.

»Okay, man, finally got it. No 11.0 cheap if I want 10.5 right now. Have a nice day.«
»Later, dude.«

(*) Bawkeahrs: Barber-who-knows-everything-and-has-rhythm-stick

2 Likes

Thanks. That was entertaining!

Let me just add that it also works this way with full versions. You can buy a Cubase box at your local store, even a Cubase Pro 7, and you will always receive the latest version as soon as you activate it. This way we don’t have to trash all boxes still in stock every time we release a new version.

1 Like

Got it! Thank you :blush:

Thanks Anando :smiley:. My upgrade code is also in the fridge.

I’ve read this thread with interest because I am in an unusual situation with my Cubase installation. I last upgraded my software to Cubase 5 many years ago, and later I bought an upgrade to Cubase 7. For personal reasons I never got round to installing it and the unopened box still sits on my shelf. I am now ready to re-engage with Cubase (I probably have a lot to learn) but was a little confused over what will happen when I upgrade. As I understand it from this thread, when I upgrade using the activation code from my Cubase 7 upgrade package, it will install the latest version (11). Is this correct?

While a usb elicenser with a Cubase 5 license is on it is plugged into the machine, you’ll enter your activation code into the Elicenser Control Center. The Cubase 5 license will be transformed into the latest one available. Note that this is an update in Steinberg parlance.

You need to have the latest Elicenser Control Center installed on the computer to do this.

Nothing is downloaded by this process, for that you will use the Steinberg Download Assistant which you can find at their website.

1 Like

Steve: Thanks for making this crystal clear. I look forward to seeing the latest version.