Gradual Dynamics feature request

Hello! I’m new to the forum and fairly new to Dorico. I’ve been a Finale user for about 16 years and I teach a college class called “Music Notation w/Finale” and I first have to say how impressed I am with your company, the user interface, and this forum. I’m currently in the process of convincing this school to make the switch. But anyway, I have a request for a feature:

I noticed in the engraving options you can choose to have gradual dynamics appear as a hairpin or text. I tend to use hairpins for dynamic changes over the course of two measures or less, but text for cresc and dim that occur over longer stretches. Would it be possible to add an option that automatically changes from hairpin to text based on a users preset amount of space? For example a “use cresc/dim for gradual dynamics longer than x measures” number selector.

Thanks for reading!

Welcome to the forum, alai84. If we can do anything to help you with adoption of Dorico at your college, please feel free to contact me directly (d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de) and we’ll figure out a way to help. Thanks for the suggestion about having Dorico change the kind of gradual dynamic indication if the dynamic is over a certain length.