Graphic layers

Will Dorico have graphic layers (similar to Photoshop for example)?
When you distribute your music it is often very usefull to have the possibility to add watermarks on your work.

Dorico doesn’t have layers as such at the moment, though internally each frame does (I think) have a specific z-order; however, this z-ordering (which determines which frames appear in front or behind which other frames) is not currently exposed as a user option. I would anticipate that it will be exposed at some point.

However, we already have support for watermarking directly built into Print mode, so you don’t need a layer feature to achieve this — just specify the watermark text you want to appear in your exported or printed music, and Dorico will do the rest.

Built-in watermarking—excellent!

Thanks for your answer.
Great that it has been thought of :slight_smile:
Will watermarks be limited to text or will it be possible to add pictures (like logos or similar)?

But it would be great indeed to have access to the z-ordering in order to be able to add graphic in the background.

Best regards

Is it possible now to put frames in the foreground or background of another one?

Not yet, no.

Dear Daniel, will there be any update at some point? I mean about adding some graphics behind music frames, or changing z-order of existing ones?

We haven’t done any specific work in this area as yet, but it is something we plan to add in future.

2 Likes

@PiotrZabielski
Following our p.m, this may be of interest to other people?!
Here is what I use myself to create pdfs: my solution (maybe your ability to do) may go perhaps a little further (that your needs expressed in your p.m) ,because I’m selling pdfs and so I want them to be protected by a logo in the background ( layer under) and that the name of the buyer by paypal is written above (layer over). I created a php script that does this automatically.
Most software that does this “watermark pdf” like Dorico … but in fact protects very little or not at all, just open the pdf in Affinity, acrobat pro, etc… and you can remove the watermark easily:

watermark

I adapted my script to do it live (locally) when I give scores to my students, with the possibility of changing the text. in your case it would suffice to put a field with the path of the image you want to put in the background

1. result

note: the limit could be that your background is a very heavy image and if it is repeated on 50 pages, the pdf would become very heavy
Best regards

3 Likes

I’m currently on Dorico 4, is this an option that’s available in Dorico 5? Or is it in 4 and I missed it?

There still isn’t the ability to specify that a graphic frame should be positioned behind the music frame in the current version, Trevor.