Graphic slices cutting off font

I’m trying to export a graphic slice of these guitar scales, as a PDF:

But when I do, I get this:

The text frames look ok:

Any ideas? It’s exporting correctly as a PDF from Word, but Dorico insists on chopping it off.

UPDATE: Exporting the whole thing as a PDF from Print mode returns the same result. I admit it might be a problem with my font, I just don’t know why it doesn’t work correctly in Dorico…

Seeing as the font’s using fancy ligature stuff, I wonder if some of that stuff isn’t embedding properly. Have you confirmed that a variety of browsers/PDF readers are displaying the resulting PDF consistently?

I hadn’t thought of that. Here’s a PDF exported from Word. Does it display correctly for you as it does for me?
134.pdf (7.6 KB)

Here’s the font. It’s a mess since I’m the only one using it, and I made it for this project.

Type # for a fretboard, then 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 for fret marks. Period to advance to next string.

I see the full tab ligature (no text) in safari on ipad

1 Like

The PDF seems to display fine across Chrome/Safari/Acrobat DC Pro etc., yes.

Lemme play with the font.

Works fine in Word…

Seems to work fine here in Dorico.
Untitled Project 1 - 0130 - Full score.pdf (21.8 KB)

:face_with_monocle: Well…

Can I see the project file? Maybe it’s a Leo Magic thing???

Sure. I tried doubling up the frames (using Copy Selected Frames To Selected Pages), including a little overlap, just in case that made a difference. Still seems to export just fine here.

Leo’s attempt at MusFrets-Multi.dorico (462.8 KB)

The only thing I noticed is that if I look at the PDF document properties for your export from Word, it shows a Type 1 font with Custom encoding. (Same if I export from Word).
If I look at my export from Dorico (whether full page or Graphic Slice) I see a TrueType (CID) font type encoded as Identity-H.

1 Like

Huh. Try my file? Dropbox - Zweig-Teacher edition.dorico - Simplify your life

Seems to be fine here. I got a Missing Fonts dialog for MusGlyphs-Roman - I replaced with MusGlyphs Regular - not sure whether that makes a difference.
Zweig-Teacher edition - 0142 - Document.pdf (29.3 KB)

Well that’s very odd. I have no idea what’s wrong.

Maybe Mac vs. PC?

Anyways… thanks as always for your time.

It might be worth uploading a PDF from your machine of that file. It probably won’t tell me terribly much, but it could be useful to a developer…

Here’s my PDF.
Zweig-Teacher edition.pdf (38.9 KB)

Well that’s fascinating.

Chrome on the left, Acrobat on the right:

1 Like

Woah.
I don’t understand why… It seems to have something to do with the font metrics (since different programs interact with them differently), but there’s nothing wrong with those. I set the WinAscent and TypoAscender values to make sure they were tall enough to include every glyph.

I think this is officially too deep for me to figure out. I guess I’ll have to work up the guitar diagrams in Word and keep the other stuff in Dorico.

Actually, I’m seeing the same thing when I export your Dorico file to PDF. Chrome displays it fine, Preview displays it fine, Safari displays it fine. Acrobat cuts the tops off.

Wait a second… I exported your Dorico file, and it works fine.

Then I reduced the point size in my file to 40 points, and it works fine…

After testing, it seems anything above 47.5 point size causes the chord diagram to be cut off at the top.

Well, obviously… :roll_eyes:

It’s fine here a bit higher than that, but I noticed you have a -1pt offset thingy (top right corner of the text editing toolbar), so I removed that…

Here it seems to be safe at least up to 63pt. Hmm.

1 Like

Ok, graphic slices seem to demand it maxes out at 43.5 points. But when I view the resultant PDF, if I zoom in too closely, the chord diagrams are once again chopped off. So no point size is safe.

Well, I’m done here. Many thanks Leo! Hoping @dspreadbury has some words of wisdom…

1 Like