Graphics card recommendation

My graphics card has died, looking for a suitable replacement and slight upgrade. I would appreciate and recommendations or advice on model and brand (UK)

Card was NVidia 1050 ti.

I want to stick with an nvidia. Looking for something that works well with Cubase and is reliable. Mobo is Asus Prime Z390A with Intel i9-9900K cpu

Running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Any reason you need a discrete GPU?

Cubase runs better with the GPU disabled in my experience, but others mileage may differ.

I’ve got a machine I use for video editing and game development and that’s been pretty solid with Cubase, it’s an RTX 3070 TI on Win 11. The mobo has no integrated option so was forced to use it, otherwise I would have it disabled for Cubase by default.

On the Nvidia studio driver, whether that makes any difference.

Running a 4k/120hz display and don’t think I could drop below that performance now, particuarly if any gaming is involved.

Mine is in a pre-built HP machine that I saw on hotukdeals, was cheaper than the machine I was planning on building with a 3050 in it!

Desktop and 2d benchmarks were much better on the 1050 ti than on my mobo on-board. I also had a number of issues with the Cubase UI when I used on-board. I don’t get them when using the graphics card.

Couple of other reasons, the PC is true dual boot, with one “system” for music production and the other for software development and causal gaming.

The Steinberg recommendation on their website is for a mid-range graphics card, as Cubase uses hardware acceleration.

Personally, with modern mobos not having a dedicated GPU on board, I don’t like the idea of the cpu having to deal with graphics as well as other processing, and sharing (stealing!) memory.

1 Like

… in that case, this forum may not be the best place to look for relevant answers, since Cubase is about the least taxing on your graphics card and graphics RAM when compared to gaming.

For my graphics card research I tend to go to gaming forums. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As I also mentioned, desktop and 2d benchmarks are much higher (better, faster) on the 1050 ti than on my motherboard CPU graphics.

I also had a number of issues with the Cubase UI when I use on-board graphics thatI don’t get them when using the graphics card.

The Steinberg recommendation on their website is for a mid-range graphics card, as Cubase uses hardware acceleration. https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206929270-DAW-Components

Personally I’d prioritise your choice based on the gaming side of the system, statistically you’re more likely to get notable negative impact with Cubase than any notable positive impact by running dedicated GPU.

I know that doesn’t match your experience thus far, but from my own experience and reading others on here that’s my opinion on the matter.

Main consideration will be to avoid bloat wherever possible. I had an MSI 1660TI with RGB lighting and the system tray tools required really affected my system for low latency work.

Also, the RTX 3070 TI i have now started introducing interference through my cabling and the noise floor coming through the monitors was really high. I’m presuming the increased power/operating frequency was the underlying issue.

Luckily, adding some decent balanced cabling and moving my setup around so that the tower was away from any cabling, other hardware and placing monitors on a different power socket did sort it out. So be a mindful of any card that draws significant juice perhaps? I’m not sure how common my experience is, tbh.

In regards to running integrated or discrete - Any additional hardware driver on your system has the potential of raising the DPC latency, keeping that to a minimum is one of the primary goals for Windows audio systems if you’re wanting low latency operation.

So where possible google “DPC Latency” and the card you’re looking at, and hopefully someone has posted results somewhere. Of course, if you’re not running at lower latencies this will be less critical.

1 Like

But the gaming side is only casual, probably 90:10 in favour of music production.

I’ve using Cubase for years now. I started with it decades ago but when I came back to music production with Cubase, after working with Pro Tools and Sonar, I came back in to v7. Even that was a long time ago now :frowning:

I found v7.5 very stable, personally, and I still use that for some projects, especially larger projects. I’ve stepped up through the versions. I’m on 11 Pro now on Windows 10. I’ve had a number of systems and project studios in that time. This isn’t the first PC I’ve had UI problems when using Cubase with onboard graphics but I noticed a bigger difference after they re-wrote the engine and graphics.

The problem with the onboard graphics on the i9-9900K is that it just isn’t snappy at all in Windows, with any application. It also has limited memory, and shared memory at that, which falls below what Steinberg recommends. But some of the issues in Cubase include areas of the screen or mixer missing, other visual glitches and paint event issues. These were/are specific to Cubase, as I don’t get them in any other application. It was actually their suggestion back then to try a dedicated graphics card, and I knew a few other Cubase users had mentioned the 1050 ti at that time.

This is a Latency Monitor screenshot from earlier this year on this system:

I should mention, maybe, that I do work with video sometimes in Cubase. I just use one monitor.

Right, I understand.
So, what card(s) are you considering? As I said before, the only GPU I’ve had first hand problems with was an MSI one, but that was just a case of stripping all the junk it came with, losing the RGB functions and just running the Nvidia studio driver.

Without doing that, I couldn’t get Cubase to run at low latencies on moderately populated projects without it halting.

This new card I have (3070 TI), other than the audio interference it caused initially, I’ve not needed to strip any additional software out and it’s been golden. Infact, super happy with it.

Are you limited in size you can fit in your case? And what kind of PSU are you running?

I did see an RTX 3060 TI for a great price last week:
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asus-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-8gb-dual-mini-oc-v2-3981523

Something like that would’ve been ideal I’d imagine? Prices still falling which is a bonus!

Anything AMD Eye Infinity has never let me down , very reliable with Steinberg product

Anything above $100 for running Cubase is already a waste of money.
Even for casual gaming these days, you get a LOT for under $200 GPU.
I would favor a fanless (silent) card, instead of a true-gamer card.
Most important: something recent (latest drivers supported) from a reputable vendor.

I use the GT 1030, with a 4k monitor connected to it. It never caused any issues on my PC, stable and no spikes/stutters caused by it.

I switched to the onboard graphics again but I had the issues again in the GUI.

I had another PC packed away that was for another project studio a while ago and I opened it up and took the card out of there. It was another GTX 1050ti so I put that in and it’s working again.

1 Like