Graphics frames mobility

Hello,

I’ve looked through the first several pages of the forum and don’t see a recent post about this, but after placing a graphics frame it seems that it can’t leave the page that it’s been originally assigned to (ie it doesn’t move with the music but remains confined to the larger frame in which it’s placed). The graphic also cannot be cut and pasted in “Engrave” mode, and so if the music changes at all from page to page the user is required to erase the graphic and make a new one.

Is this right?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Locally placed graphics frames are linked to the specific position they’re placed on that specific page. Same goes for locally placed music frames and text frames.

Thanks, Leo, that’s helpful. When you say “locally placed” that indicates an individual instance of the graphic, rather than on a master page where you would see the graphic appear on every page, right?

It would be nice if graphics and text frames could move without constraint, as the music can. This would help a lot in any kind of graphic or aleatoric notation!

To clarify:
Frames on Master Pages work exactly the same as Frames on individual pages - they can’t move automatically (with the exception of Flow Headings, of course).
Music Frames can’t move without constraint either - it’s the contents of the Music Frames that can flow through the frame chain as needed.

Right–and thank you for clarifying as that makes sense.

I suppose I’d like the contents of the graphics frames to be flexible enough to flow through the frame chain, as well! Perhaps there could be a function to attach them to bars or systems in the future so that the only adjustments would be minimal.

You can fudge that with Playing Techniques already, can’t you?

Yes–specifically I had pasted a PNG of a multi-phonic wind fingering in the score and since it doesn’t move with the music or copy/paste in Engrave mode I needed to delete it and paste in back in to the new place, which seemed like a few extra steps in the process.

Unless there’s something else you mean? Happy to take the advice/tip!

Thanks again,

DSL

Unless I’m missing something, you’re talking about Graphics Frames (which are purely an Engrave mode “thing”) and I’m talking about Playing Techniques (which are in the right panel of Write mode). Playing Techniques are linked to a rhythmic position on a specific stave, can be copied and pasted within Write mode, and should move with the music just like dynamics or staff text.

Thanks, Leo…you just made things a lot easier for me!

I notice that if you put a graphics frame on a page, it sticks to that page. For example, if I add a graphics frame to page 7, then later add a new one-page flow that moves all the music after it, the graphics frame is still stuck to page 7. It doesn’t move due to the new flow’s page. Is this the intended behavior, or do I need a different setting?

All frames (graphics or otherwise) are locked to pages. Unless they’re e.g. part of a flow heading, they won’t move with the music.

Depending on your situation, could creating an alternative page template with the relevant graphics frame on it and applying that page template where needed work?

You can also swap page overrides with neighbouring pages, if you need to e.g. bump a particular page formatting from p6 to p7.

That last option works great! Some day it would be good to make that automatic – so the music and graphic frames flows are somehow linked.

Yep, it’s not documented – I’ve made a note but just fyi my current priorities are updating v4 features, especially the changes in Play mode.

1 Like