Great news, iPad

Unfortunately not for me, no Dorico on my iPad. Minimum requirement, as I tried to download the app, IOS 13. I have an iPad Air that is fine but the latest iOS it takes is 12.

:sob:

Youā€™ve hit the natural life-cycle of your old air, sounds like. Iā€™m facing an upgrade to my imac very soon. Iā€™ve already begun to lose certain programs due to updates; itā€™s just the nature of things, as disappointing as it can be.

On the bright side, you have an excellent excuse to get a new ipad, and the base model versions are very affordable (albeit less fun than the fancy proā€™s).

That must be an original 2013 iPad Air.

The nature of Apple! :slight_smile: Windows & Linux happily runs ancient software, as you must have if youā€™re running a nuclear reactor or a satellite. Linus has always been adamant about not changing the user space API, and one of the questions Microsoft engineers ask themselves is ā€œwill this change bring down an oil platform in the North Sea?ā€ I gave up on Apple development, they change APIā€™s with abandon, and itā€™s usually to either give them advantage or to fix a dumb design. </small rant over>

4 Likes

Apple has quite a long support time cycle, but they tend to chuck machines, before the user experiences decreases. Thatā€™s their policy and I actually support it. I know too many PC users who start hating their computers after a while due to bad user experience.

As a Windows and Android user having ā€“ and wanting to have ā€“ nothing to do with Apple, I am jealous. :angry: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :laughing: :rofl:

Congratulations, Apple users! :slightly_smiling_face: :blush: :yum:

3 Likes

Indeed; Iā€™ve always had (relatively speaking) poor experience with windows machines. By contrast, I had my last iphone for 4 years (ages in the smartphone world) and it was still updated regularly, and I can still use my laptop from 2005 (not enjoyable, but itā€™s still chugging alongā€¦) and my imac from 2013 runs as smoothly as the day I bought it. The only reason I need to update now is that it is so old certain software wont work anymore and the CPU power has come along quite a ways in 9 years. None of my windows machines ever lasted more than 2-3 years.

1 Like

Considering the original Dorico plan was to favor (or at least make possible) a keyboard-only navigation scheme, porting to the touch-screen iPad is an amazing achievement.

Kudos!

(And great timing: I just recently bought an iPad to replace an old Macbook.)

Thank you all for your thoughts. I wrote this topic just to make sure I wasnā€™t missing something.

I downloaded the app in my daughterā€™s new iPad Air 3. It is a beautiful app, it is so great to have an iPad version of Dorico. It looks and feel at home and it will be so great to be able to bring Dorico with me on an iPad. It is very responsive and a great addition to have, hard to express how much it surprised me in the best possible way. Congratulations to the Develop Team, I feel so lucky I switched to Dorico in its inception.

Now I have to be nice to my daughter, ten years old, so she will lend me her iPad! :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

I canā€™t find a way to sign in in the app with my Steinberg ID after the first launch. May I ask some help?

Paolo

Just to offer another another perspective: my flatmate, sister and one of my best friends all have Apple computers (MacPro or Mini) and they all continuously struggle with their machines and have issues with them. One example when your battery die on a Mac laptop you cannot use it even if itā€™s plugged in, you must replace the battery. Also, updates seem to break more things than they fix. Iā€™ve had several iPads and iPhones that people have given me and theyā€™re atrocious and have very short lives (either battery issue or discontinued architecture).

On the other hand, my work PC is over 10 years old and it still flies! I can run Dorico on two windows whilst running VE Pro with a full orchestra and it doesnā€™t even blink.

My old OnePlus phone also lasted nearly 8 years before I accidentally dropped it and it was working beautifully till then. Iā€™m just saying, one account doesnā€™t necessarily make it trueā€¦

1 Like

Interesting. That wasnā€™t the case with my MacBook Pro. It would turn off as soon as you unplugged it, but as long as the cord was in it was fine.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tested this on 2 Mac Pros and 2 Airsā€¦

Same with mine.

My two cents: I love Macs despite everything! :heart_eyes:

I had this problem until I found an iPad option to respond to the sign-in screen as a web site. Rather than as part of the app. Iā€™m new to the iPad and was not aware of this distinction.

Thank you for your answer. But how did you invoke the sign-in screen, if you have not signed it at the first launch?

EDIT: Found. Itā€™s in the Preferences dialog you reach from the tear-down menu on the top-right corner of the screen.

Paolo

Mac laptops should still run, even if the battery is failing. However the CPU will be throttled, because the power management depends on the battery. In any case, a failed battery needs to be replaced for safety, if nothing else.
But I can point to a succession of broken Dells that my wife had, while I kept the same Mac.

I still have original iPhone SE, which is six years old, and runs the latest OS fine. I guess that one slipped through the Planned Obsolescence Department. :roll_eyes:

I hope people donā€™t get the idea from this discussion that all Windows computers constantly break down, which is a far cry from the truth. My 10 year old Acer laptop still runs as smoothly as when it was new with Windows 10 installed, admittedly with a few improvements in the form of more RAM and an SSD instead of the original HDD, and it is always plugged in because the battery was never very good, but still, Windows computers are not nearly as bad as some people like to portray them.

3 Likes

In the application menu at the right-hand end of the toolbar, you will find the Sign In option.

1 Like