Green bar in Markers Dialogue

Probably a really stupid question, but what is the green bar at the end of the marker name in the Marker Dialogue box?

The explanation is in the instruction manual.

It´s the last marker the playhead passed / the last marker you played back. :slight_smile: Check the info on “follow playback” re markers in the manual!
Best Regards

I appreciate your time in answering my question. I did look and didn’t see it, so I decided to ask here.

Sorry to inconvenience you with my stupidity.

1 Like

To ask a question is never stupid, I´m sorry you feel that way.

It´s up to the users in this forum how they wish to answer the questions asked, though and if you take a few minutes to make a proper answer, you usually learn something in the process. Either if you need to find the answer yourself and learn by looking it up, or if you just have to explain something properly to someone else. Anwsering other peoples questions is a great tool for learning.

But more importently: a friendly and helpful support forum is also helpful to the product. If people can come here and get support it makes it easier to use the program, especially in the beginning. If they get stuck and come here and get met by unhelpful (not-)answers it reflects negatively on the product.

This is one of the reasons there are guidelines to posting in this forum, and why everyone should read them - as well as everyone should “read the manual” :wink:

" Help us make this a great place for discussion by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later. "
FAQ - Steinberg Forums

You are of course welcome back to ask any question you like, and hopefully you´ll get a positive and helpful reply!

Best Wishes

I’m hoping this will get bumped up, rather than start a new thread.

I have noticed that the marker window often displays more than one green bar. The OP’s example shows that. How can “the marker that was last played back” be two markers, several minutes apart? Here’s another example, and I have seen 3 green bars for sure, maybe more.

I’ve noticed that, once a second bar exists, the first one tends to stay put while the second one moves along normally as the audio plays. It’s as if the bar isn’t being cleared sometimes when a new bar is set. This is in a montage. I can’t remember if it happens in a straight audio file.

Do you remember if you added/removed/moved some markers a bit before this happened?

The best of my recollection is that I added these track markers in order as the audio was playing. That was a few days ago. The last thing I did was listen to the band intros, and then I put this project down. When I came back to it yesterday, I went straight to the first blank track to work on that one.

I’ll try to pay attention to your question going forward and report back.

Here’s another observation about this.

Today, I picked up a different project and started playback. The edit/playback cursor was located to the right of the last marker in the project. The green bar did not appear.

This makes sense per the manual, because no marker was passed during playback. But intuitively, I feel light the green bar should have appeared on the marker tab for the region being played – meaning, next to the marker immediately preceding the playback point. Isn’t the green bar just a visual cue highlighting where, in the marker list, playback is occurring? Or, once playback stops, where the cursor is now located?

I then stopped playback and moved the cursor to the middle of the preceding region. The green bar immediately appeared in the right place, one line higher in the marker tab. But again, no marker had been passed or played back, so the marker’s appearance seems to contradict the rule from the manual. And it made me wonder what was different starting playback between two markers versus to the right of the last marker.

In my opinion, if someone is going to be thinking about this code, then when playback starts, the green bar should appear next the marker for the region being played back, and update as playback continues, and then stay put until the cursor is moved. Ideally, the green bar should move around when the cursor is placed in another region, whether or not playback starts.

Hope this is helpful.

I agree.