Gregorian chant in Dorico 4?

That works well and was indeed the approach for the Roman Missal, however the stem/beam approach allows for editorial grouping of notes and quilismas.

You can certainly be more detailed about it without stems too; in these examples, I have used very generous spacing for PiPs (people in the pews) however I find Dorico is great for more complicated things as well, even without stems. Here’s an example of a gregorian hymn that I wrote and then harmonized.
Jesus, Lord, Have Mercy (Organ + Chant combined).pdf (185.7 KB)

And here’s a transcription of Expectans expectavi where I engraved it for a choir habituated to reading square note notation who understood more of what the transcription means:
Expectans expectavi domino ‱ Full score.pdf (575.1 KB)

I just look at certain collections where organ accompaniements also use beaming and the scores can get very cluttered, but I do see the usefulness in it. I think for me it ultimately boils down to me being used to singing from the originals, so I don’t like seeing the stems as they feel imposed, and some singers are very tempted to sing those transcriptions as if each note was actually an eighth, whereas I find singers are much more free and natural (by default and intuition) when music is stemless. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Thanks, times007, for telling us about DNCF! Here’s the link to it stripped of its social media tracking tag. TĂ©lĂ©charger DNCF gratuit | Le logiciel gratuit

1 Like

Di nulla, comunque ho visto che c’ù qualche problema per lo scaricamento
Ho cercato su google un’altro sito e ho trovato questo:

Of nothing, however I saw that there is some problems for downloading
I looked for another site on Google and found this:

2 Likes

From the looks of what I see here, I think Dorico can handle my chant, but what about the contemporary cutout and timings as in this manuscript sample? Is Dorico 4 capable of notating this?

@musicdsign As far as I know Dorico cannot yet do cutouts. This is a frequently requested feature.

I was thinking it could do cutouts, but if not natively, is it possible within the program to place a white block over the area of the staff that is not desired? Or would I need to export it to Photoshop as a graphic?

You could use Edit>Notations>Staff>Add Staff Below:

2 Likes

Thank you, John. I think that will work for what I am trying to accomplish.

Here’s what I ended up with per your suggestion:

2 Likes

When I was working on my contemporary chant piece, I noticed something that might be a bug with the software in Dorico 4. In the following example, I have circled two notes where the tenuto should be in the next space down. If I change these to staccatos , then they are in the correct space. Can anyone else confirm this?

1 Like

Yes, that appears to be as far down on the staff as they will go with stem-down notes below the staff.
Similarly with the opposite - stem-up notes above the staff.
The tenuto marks can be be moved in Engrave mode.

Thanks for your response, Steven. I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me that I could just make that adjustment in Engrave mode. Yeah, that definitely resolves the issue for me!