Groove Agent 6 Wish List

Hello everyone. Ok, so been on Groove for about a year now. Former battery user. I really like this program! The fact that Halion 7 came out, and is in my humble opinion a new engine underneath….are we gonna see GA6 soon?

My wish list

1. Cut the tabs down by a full 2/3. The interface has so many tabs I honestly get a little turned around.

2. Meaningful GUI- Right now, it just seems like a bunch of modules thrown into a square space and it lacks a smoothness in workflow. The pads default to white. But that’s the trigger color! You literally can’t see what pad is getting triggered until you change the pad color. Yikes.

3. Library- the library isn’t awful. But the quality is all over the map. Some sounds appear to be recorded incorrectly or too hot and so they sound awful. Let’s forget quantity and spec 100% into quality going forward.

4. Scalable GUI-Natch.

5. Quicker way to assign pad outputs. It’s a maze right now.

I think Steinberg is in a good place because they literally have more features than everybody else. Groove runs on the Halion platform so it does have the best audio engine. They just need to focus on ease of use. Using Cubase after Logic makes my brain all the way hurt but I want to support the Berg.

1 Like

I would love an option to assign the 16 pads automatically to individual outs instead of painstakingly having to set them up manually with a lot of menu clicking

2 Likes

The current system is bad indeed! What else you guys/gals got? Let’s make this one count!

I’ve been using GA full since (v4?) and use the patterns extensively for a real drummer effect.

Trying to find patterns is impossible.

The only thing they have is names, how can that help anyone?

They should have more keywords included.

Also, a way to indicate what the basic BC/Snare/HH pattern. I think Kontacts 60’s drummer has a way to do this, so it is doable.

I do like how the fills work and being able to have a pattern on “toggle” with auto-fill set ever 8 or 12 bars is a blast for practising.

2 Likes

Perhaps include some presets like “every pad to separate channel”, or for drum kits “every drum to it’s own channel” type of thing.

1 Like

You could do , i was thinking more along the lines of right click menu 'assign 16 pads to outputs ’ similar how it is with the Studio kit with Styles , you can 'export to Cubase mixer ’

1 Like

Just curious, but this “every pad to a channel” thing - how would that work when you have 128 pads (8 x 16) and 32 channels?

1 Like

Simple , when you open a preset , the preset opens on the 16 pads most relevant , usually slot 3 yes ? So the 16 pads containing all the main drums on slot 3 assign to 16 individual outputs , or something similar . Its rare for presets to use more than 3 slots , obviously if you are making your own then it won’t be possible , unless you have AI working in the background and you tell GA to assign all your kicks from the pads to output 2 or similar

1 Like

I will admit that I never use it that way. I think it’s because Logic has Drummer? I dunno. Would you mind sharing what that workflow looks like? I do think the acoustic kits are a highlight so maybe this something I need to consider!

This.

I’m thinking an Auto Assign Button.

Click that puppy and the pads get automatically assigned to whatever corresponding channel based on the pad number. I think that’s a good solution.

I would also say that the “Default States” of the plugins is a little weird. Like the filter being disabled. You have to click to enable it. Then you have to click change the type. Then you have to…know what I mean?

I’m not criticizing. Just honestly wanting a good program to become great!

One more thing. Again. It would be cool to unify the plug-ins across Halion biased products. There are a couple of plug-ins I miss from Halion. Fingers crossed!

IMHO, Groove Agent would gain much more POWER if it added a feature that is included in Toontrack’s EZDrummer, where grooves can be added to any Midi input into the VST. This feature also exists in EZKeys and EZBass.

EDITED: Additionally, look at the features of Transfuser 2 for drums, etc.

You guys are clearly more advanced than me with Groove. S Taylor I have no idea what that even means!

Where would this “groove” come from? Do you mean that you have a midi track that’s not actually note on data, but swing and stuff? Please enlighten me! Thanks.

This is a serious comment:
I would like to see the Cowbell added to the paid-for kits (Simon Phillips, et al). I use it occasionally, and it’s a pain in the posterior to have to load TWO kits just to be able to use it. Same for the Sticks (great for realistic count-ins).
A decent Tambourine wouldn’t go amiss, either.
(And this user, at least, doesn’t give a toss about “grooves”, “beats” and the like because he’s capable of rolling his own. So there!)

Ok, I feel like we’re being trolled here. :rofl: Then again you could be serious!

Ultimately, let’s keep this thing on track. So I’m using Grove today, and I do love that program. Needs updating…but good stuff!

Anyway, I wish we had the same mixer that Halion has. I would even take the Cubase Mixer! I see a sends system in Groove, but it appears to be implemented differently.

What I’m asking for here is the doorway to put some WARP Augmentation on these samples! Being able to beef up my snares and kicks without having to EQ would be GLORIOUS!

I really am serious. None of the add-on kits have a cowbell, and I, for one, do use a cowbell now and again. If I’m using a Simon Phillips kit, for instance, I have to have a second kit just for that cowbell, and it’s a lot of faffing around.

1 Like

The dry sounds are a bit wimpish -more Helana Bonham-Carter than John Bonham!

If you right click on the 'agent" arrow, you can select to have all the channels go to the mixer. The mixer channels will have the same plugins as the GA mixer has (for the most part)

Works really well.

Oh dear.

The dry sounds are a bit wimpish -more Helana Bonham-Carter than John Bonham!

Nice! Thanks noise.