Groove Agent has lost it's way

I was quite impressed by this. There are still some potential when it comes to mixing and mastering but overall a very good job :slight_smile:

I do not think that MOR is for you after having heard your genre. Have you got Kontakt or Komplete? Might be that Native Insturments drumsets for Kontakt is more up you alley. Or perhaps also JazzDrums and Mallets. For Kontakt that also. I think they will work with the free Kontakt Player if you do not have the full Kontakt. I would also strongly suggest a very good compressor for the drums, no matter which set you go for. The Soft Tube CL1B (expencive) and the ones from Slate Digital (VBC) (now on offer) are recommended. (CL 1B is the best I have come accross. Softtube have sale from time to time with up to 50% discount). The compressors in Cubase are no good. Also, if you do not do that already; one drum per track. In that way you can compress, eq and reverb each drum separately. Also recommend a slight distortion/saturation on the snare. Here Cubase quadrafuzz is great. (Finally a good plugg from Steinberg).

Thanks RedRum,

I appreciate your kind advice and time here.

I am much more of a player than I am Cubaser, but I am learning little new things all the time as I go along. I would really like some tuition face2face or in a college but it has never worked out for many reasons. Plus the last 9 x months have been spent intensely studying FM Synthesis and the directly related DX7 Yamaha synth.

I had a look a MoR again this morning and yes you are correct. I can imagine this package being EXCELLENT for certain musicians as it looks very powerful indeed, but at all for Jazz/Blues etc.

JamStix did really sound AMAZING (esp. the JAZZ feel was out of this world!), but I think I am hooked on the drummer’s chair perspective as opposed to plan view, or otherwise.

FX-wise, I do have a modest handful of WAVES and I think there is a Compressor in there somewhere. I am not expert enough to pass judgment on which brand is superior in this field, though I can say I found the Steinberg FX easy to operate manually in terms of their displays and button/slider sizes etc. The WAVES FX seemed very small and fiddily. But thats just my NOVICE opinion!

It says that they have a SALE on their style-packs (69e to 41e [or something like that]). But does anyone know how long this sale lasts for please? :-

And is this where you make the purchase buy adding to cart (I am not sure if you have to join/subscribe first because it says ‘Log In’). I assume everything is only available as a download directly from the ToonTracks site? :-

Though I have found it on eBay UK (free poststage / click&collect) for a boxed version (better to own a hard copy version would you not agree?) :-

Best,

Paul

Hi MM,

I think GA4 is more of an issue for members (who like myself) are migrating from GA2/GA3. There seems to be a general consensus of expectations as to what current owners had hoped the new version would be like.

Ta,

Paul

Hi,

Anyone able to help here please guys? :slight_smile:

Ta,

Paul

If you have not bought anything from Toontrack yet, you will register when you buy. You determine the product first and during check out you will be prompted to fill in the information.

Previously there was only one option and that was CD in a box. Nowadays it is more and more downloads. Yes it is better to have a “hard copy” if the world should collaps, but I have done that “safety routine” by a double back up. No need for CDs and boxes to fill up the shelf. CDs rarely contain the latest version so you need to download updates anyway.

Compare the prices between the Toontrack site and the Time & Space retailer. For me (in Norway) the prices of T&S are better for some reason.

Well, both yes and no… It is true that if you have no experience with GA2/3 you don’t know what to miss. However GA4 does not stand the competition soundwise or GUI wise agianst current competitors anyway. Where GA4 excells is in live situations due to programmable PADs. It is also more of a “swiss army knife” as it contians different “agents” (Drum sets - both acoustik and electronic) than say EzDrummer, where you need at least one add on pack to obtain the similar electronic drums. But the depth of each drumset in GA4 is limited. So it is wider and shallower than most competitor sets. Old GA2/3 was even wider and even shallower. And we loved that small part of GA2/3 that no one else had, didn’t we? My precious. They took my precious away from us.

Ta RedRum,

No, I have never made a purchase from ToonTracks as yet, and so am not registered.

I am not too bothered about penny pinching to be honest as I think 99GBP is a fair price and also I can click&collect at my local Argos store. Personally, I would still rather own a genuine boxed version and then make any required updates once EZ2 has been installed.

And so do you think this eBay shop offering will be suffice please :-

Are the EZ2 Expansion Packs only available as downloads please? None appeared after a quick eBay search. If so, I would rather purchase directly from ToonTracks website.

Much thanks…

Paul

RedRum,

Very interesting indeed.

It it a great shame that GA4 took a curve-ball.

I can see its advantages for live performances and (let’s say) younger(!) musicians. But GA4 is far from what we might call being traditional and I don’t think that whatever extras it can provide will ever make me feel INSPIRED. Timbre-wise, my ears can not really tell between such minute differences between rival brands. And whenever you watch You Tube demo’s, the VST always sounds radically different through you own system! lol

Cheers,

Paul

I have most of the expansion packs for Ez Drummer (I also have Superior Drummer and most expansions for that). I used to buy them as CDs + Card board boxes, but changed to download. I am sorry but I can not remember if the change was out of convenience or availability.

99USD for ED2 seems ok. Ebay + paypal has a protection plan as well. Think it is safe. But be aware that many offers nowadays that look like a box but is really serial number.

I have been a staunch GA3 supported and produced some great music with it - especially in the jazz vein. GA4 soimply does not cater for me now, so I am joining the ranks of the disappointed. so I have loaded GA3 back into my newly upgraded Windows 7 / Cubase 7.5 environment (finally let go of XP and Cubase 4.5) and willo have to carry on as before.

RR,

So do you think I am correct in that you can only purchase the Expansion Packs for EZ2 as a download please?

Ta,

Paul

RR,

I wonder if that might ever happen? There may be too many disgruntled customers who have only just purchased GA4 (and for the first time) in the last 6 x months.

Cheers,

Paul

Dont know really, but I would strongly recommend downloads. It took some mental ajustment for me too, but I never wanna revert to boxes. Get a harddisc and back up or back up to a cloud. Much better. Use the gained space for some nice wine bottles. There are sooooooo many pluggs only available through downloads anyway so you will, sooner or later, be forced into the download system. Also take into considderation that if the company do not close down, you can always re-download from their site.

No won’t happen. For many reasons. The major one is for Steinberg to admit the whole product of GA4 was a big mistake. For the first time in my daw history I have been wondering if I have backed the right horse. I have during the last few months been looking into Logic X (have 9) and Bitwig, just because of the damn GA4 and Steinbergs attitude towards dissatisfied customers. I am however very pleased with CB8 so it is a difficult situation to sort out.

RR,

Ok, ta mate. I have a couple of external HD’s which I use for backing up stuff (a TB and 500GB). I never back stuff up to the Cloud. Can’t be bothered to, to be honest and my work is not THAT imperative (well so far, anyway). I do have Drop Box and You Send It which I know a few members on here use for this purpose.

Ta,

Paul

RR,

Well they would be better off simply admitting there were (in hindsight) some bad decisions made in the making of GA4. I would think that in such a situation it would be entirely forgivable and that they would regain some lost (and leaving) customers. And then re-launch it in 6 x months time (or how ever long).

Paul

Hi,

This sale offers a DRUM KIT pack (Rock) with it, but I am not sure if this is something EXTRA than what you would normally receive, or if it is included anyway with any EZ2 package? :-

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Rob,

Ta man. Nice to know someone from the same genre feels the same way to! Luckily i KEPT GA3 on both of my PC’s and did not purchase GA4 (just ran the trial).

Did you actually purchase GA4? And if not, what do you intend to buy instead?

best,

Paul

For 5£ extra I would go for it. It is a very cheep way of learning the Toontrack system. The sets included in Ez2 are great and you would normally do with those, but you will get extra MIDI files anyway together with some different sounding drums. Every expansion pack sounds differently, however not necessary what you need or would use. If you like to tweek Eq you can get a lot out of Ez2 and do without expansions. It is better to listen through a few drumsets, use them, get to know them, tweek them and then… if there are still things to be desired, you will have your ear on that when looking for another expansion.

RR,

Ok, ta man.

Here is the sellers reply :-

Hi Paul,

the expansion is definetly a download as you get this as a promo from toontrack upon registration. The main program comes on a disc.

Regards

I just put in a “Make Me An Offer” so hopefully it will get accepted.

Cheers.

Paul

<Update- My offer has been accepted and so therefore I won it for 95GBP instead of (the ‘BIN’ price) 103GBP>