Groove Agent SE4 is great!

Anyone mind helping me out :blush:

Nice One!

I think I clicked pretty much every button in an attempt to get the parameters to work independently.

Yeah, for independet volumes we need forget automation as you said. The lack of solo and mute buttons per-layer makes me more easy to work with pads-layers, until steinberg (i hope) add them :\

I am having some troubles with finding missing samples function. I’ve tried to export the kit with samples (it creates the preset and a folder with all samples mapped in the kit), and then open the project on a different computer. When it asks for missing samples, pointing to the folder with the samples exported, it didn’t find anything.
Aynone else does having the same issue?

Hi spinlud

Make sure the folder is active in MediaBay
(search the folder structure in media bay and check the folder that contain your kits and samples)
Then it will find them.

Really like the groove agent se! Its everything the one didnt was!
For me the slicer is a gift from heaven! Chopping some slices, dropping them into the pianoroll is really impressive!

I only doenst understand how the manual slicing works… Can you add a slice into the wav form or how does this work?

Kinda fed up with battry but so long there is no next/prev its no replacement…

The new Groove Agent SE4 RAM save mode is amazing! I have all my drum samples loaded and saved as Battery kits so I can quickly go through and audition/play my drum sounds from the Mediabay. Most of the time I only end up using one or two sounds from the kit and would end up bouncing them down to audio then deleting the Battery track to save RAM. With Groove Agent SE4 you just click the “RAM save” button and it unloads all your unused samples from your RAM… genius. Time to start making Groove Agent SE4 kits/presets for all my drum samples :smiley:

i’ve been receiving a few crashes when using the ;

RightClick - Replace Sample from a layered pad.

as soon as i click on a different sample CUBASE 7.5 dies !!

happened on 3 occasion, i will try and replicate and maybe add as an issue.

but aside from that.

i have spent probably about 2-3 hrs chopping up sample on this thing, so easy and intuitive its UNREAL.

it takes a while to remeber what the REL/ABS and various icons are, but once you get the hang of them you’ll be fine.

ah and the UNDO !!!.

and i am also loving the distintion between sample and slice…

where you can slice a drum loop, and then do fine tuning in the sample area; envelopes etc… !!

i’m rambling now…

there is, in the MAIN area to the right of the pads. just select a different MIDI note…

i may be mistaken on its exact location but i have done it myself…

hope this helps !

I just received a mail from a colleague who saw those questions. Here are his answers (some of them have already been answered at least in parts though):

1. Is it now possible to assign samples via a dropdown list (like in Padshop), or do you still have to drag’n’drop them from media bay?

Yes and no! A dropdown list selection is only possible via “Replace Sample” but this is very powerful!

• drag any sample on any pad
  • or select one sample on the “Main” tab of the Pad-Editor if there are more samples assigned to one pad
  • make a right click with the mouse on the selected sample on the “Main” tab and select “Replace Sample”
  • a browser window will open and you can navigate to each location on your hard drive(s). If “Prelisten Samples” is enabled the currently selected sample will replace your previously selected sample ON THE FLY !!! That means that nearly all sample settings (e.g. ptich, tune, envelopes, filter, effects) are audible with the new aspirant.
  1. Is sample layering possible?
    Yes, GA SE4 supports following playback modes (at the most 8 samples per pad) :
  • Velocity
  • Layer (stacked)
  • Round Robin
  • Random
  • Random Exclusive (no sample will be played twice in succession)
  1. Can each pad have its own insert effects, or are there only aux send buses?
    No inserts for pads only 4 aux send busses

2. Can GASE4 import GA ONE kits?
    Yes, all GA One kits that are listed in the Mediabay will be visible in GA SE4 too and can be loaded of course. Furthermore you can import Groove Agent One Kit files (.gak) and MPC Kit files (.pgm) by clicking with the right mouse button on the “Beat Agent” icon and selecting “Import” from the drop down menu.
    <<<

Hi Mr. Doll,

thank you for the info. Regarding 1: Does “prelisten” mean, that I can play the sample also via midi keyboard, as soon as I mark it in the file selector? And does the file selector stay open? Why didn’t Steinberg implement the excellent sample selector of Padshop?

I also assume, that all sample file references are saved with absolute file paths, just like Halion does. This leads to massive problems, if I want to move my sample library to a different location. Then I have to reload all patches, search for the samples, and resave them. The best solution for user sample libraries is to define a root folder and save patches with relative path references. If you then move the lib to a new location, you only have to define the new root folder path. This works so well with NI Kontakt for example, why didn’t Steinberg think about this? By the way, this is the only reason why I never moved to halion, although I would prefer the sound engine over Kontakt…

Dave, you have been helpful with your infos thru this thread.
Just like others, I work with Battery 4, and the way it automatically loads a sample into cell just by clicking it in the browser, no warning replacing whatever you had there… is unforgivable.

But you’ve provided pretty much every solution with GA to replace Battery.

Sticky this thread, please. it is of useful info for anyone who buys C7.5
Not sure why helpful useful threads like this are allowed to fall off, especially when some of this information isn’t as intuitive or easy to locate quickly. I come to the forum for info just like this. Thanks, Dave. And thanks for showing up Mr. Doll.

i think as with alot of these very informative posts, there is good information being posted its just people sometimes dont fancy reading and are much more inclined to watch a vid, or be spoon fed the info.

FMNX does some great tutorials on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/FMNxMusic (GERMAN)

be interested to see what he does (as unfortunately i don’t speak/understand German) with the new bits in 7.5…

but yeh, sticky this !

I’m struggling to find ‘Replace Sample’. Where exactly must I right-click? I must have tried every pixel of the plug-in while in the ‘Main’ tab!!!

I would have thought on the pad itself, but there ain’t no replace sample in there! And there’s nothing in the manual about this?

Cheers

u need to right-click on the sample box itself above the sample editor window on the right hand side.

hope this helps

At last! Thanks.

ok guys - GA SE4 great - but im having a few issues - i was wondering if anyone could help me out?

• image processing error on all waveforms in GA SE4 window. however if i zoom in about halfway the samples show up!

• unable to drag and drop patterns into project window to get the midi… if i try… i left click and drag … and boom! “A Serious Error Has Occured”

any ideas ? ive posted this problem up everywhere, and am tearing my hair out with it, tech support not responding.

apart from this, its nice to have 6.5, 7, and 7.5 as separate Cubase editions. at least I can use 6.5 for serious backing track work for clients, but want to make the change up to 7 ASAP.

Thanks guys, I hope someone has some definite answers…

Here is a quick video of the error I am getting

Also the “image processing error” occurs on ALL mediaybay loops and audio previews too…

Am I doing something wrong or are pad exclusive groups (mute/choke groups) not working as intended?

1. Ensure you’re in group 3 (default)
  2. Drag a loop onto pad 1… set polyphony to 1… exclusive group to 3… sample mode to one-shot
  3. Drag a different loop onto pad 2… set polyphony to 1… exclusive group to 3… sample mode to one-shot

Triggering back and forth between pads 1 and 2 should immediately stop playback of the previous pad for the next pad (i.e., polyphony should never go above 1) yet both loops can be heard at the same time!

On the global options screen I guess I could set max voices to 1, but shouldn’t the steps above have also worked?

Edit: fiddled around a bit and it appears a “Pad Exclusive Group” (up to 32 of them) is not associated with the 8-button pad “group” selector. I set the group to 1 and I think everything’s okay now… but the above still should’ve worked, no? I guess you have to start at 1?

This is something I would like to know too, I’ve been struggling with this for couple of days now and still can’t figure out how to get mute grouping to work, please help!