Group Tracks: HIDE volume automation

Complications with volume automation for group tracks:

\

1. This volume line can be hidden by clicking the lock button, but not only does this add one extra step, it still does not hide the volume automation when there is currently used automation

2. The automation line shows as soon as you add a group track, even when there is no need to automate it

3. Cluttered workflow

4. When deselecting audio or midi tracks, we need to click on an empty area of the screen. We then sometimes accidentally click on the group volume automation lines, which causes the volume on that group track to change. Undoing this action does not undo the volume change that was accidentally made to the group track. This forces us to always lock the group track

5. Even when we have no intention on changing volume automation for group tracks, we are still forced to look at an automation line if we don’t keep locking the track

6. As we move our cursor across the project area, the mouse changes to the draw tool when near group track volume automation lines, even when we do not wish to make automation. This of course only happens when the track is not locked

The moral of the story is we always need to keep the groups tracks locked to prevent a clutter and to prevent accidents. This adds one extra step, and still does not hide the volume automation when there is automation drawn. Just like all other tracks, the group track’s volume automation lane should appear upon clicking the “show/hide automation” button. This would allow for a cleaner and less cluttered workflow and would prevent accidental automation changes that can not be undone.

There is a high demand for this feature as seen here: Hide Automation line in group Channels? - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Thanks for considering this feature request!
-John Dittmer

2 Likes

You can Lock group track, and Volume line will gone

You can hide groups in visibility tab.
Also great for a clearer arrange view.

This I knew thank you! This volume line can be hidden by clicking the lock button, but not only does this add one extra step, it still does not hide the volume automation when there is currently used automation. This clutters up the work area. Just like all other tracks, the group track’s volume automation lane should appear upon clicking the “show/hide automation” button, just like how all other automation behaves. This would allow for a cleaner and less cluttered workflow

1 Like

Many of us will be using folder tracks to organize and prevent a clutter, and organize the group tracks right below the instrument tracks we are grouping together so that the signal path is made clear. Hiding the group tracks fixes the problem with seeing the volume automation line, but then we will not have immediate access to the group tracks to add plugins and make volume changes (something that is done on a regular basis)

1 Like

Can we Lock a group or folder track? I can’t do it here with C10.5.29.

1. This volume line can be hidden by clicking the lock button, but not only does this add one extra step, it still does not hide the volume automation when there is currently used automation

I find it good to behave like this. So you know when there is automation going on, still I get your point, as you can hide all other automation lines if you want

1. The automation line shows as soon as you add a group track, even when there is no need to automate it

Thats really a mess, I agree. I created a macro, which always locks all groups, to prevent that. Not perfect, but still better than it is now. So my workflow now is to have all groups locked from the beginning and unlock the groups I want to make automation on. After that I hit my keycommand and all groups get locked instantly again.

1. Cluttered workflow

Yep, if you don’t lock the groups.

1. When deselecting audio or midi tracks, we need to click on an empty area of the screen. We then sometimes accidentally click on the group volume automation lines, which causes the volume on that group track to change. Undoing this action does not undo the volume change that was accidentally made to the group track. This forces us to always lock the group track

Absolutely, this is a general issue with all automation lines. You have to be extra aware, when doing automation because of this. Unfortunately.

1. Even when we have no intention on changing volume automation for group tracks, we are still forced to look at an automation line if we don’t keep locking the track
  2. As we move our cursor across the project area, the mouse changes to the draw tool when near group track volume automation lines, even when we do not wish to make automation. This of course only happens when the track is not locked

I was complaining about that when Cubase 8 came out (if I remember correctly) and also about the fact that like this you always accidentally create automation points which sometimes cannot be reverted. The answer from Steinberg was: “It was requested by a lot of users to save additional steps when doing automation”

My opinion still is: I lost way more time of undoing accidental automation points by having this “feature” than I saved by being able to start with drawing automation instantly. So to sum it up: this “feature” is crap. Dont know how anyone could ever prefer that.

2 Likes

This is a big one. How often I clicked into a group volume automatisation -.-

1 Like

yeah totally agree. As posted some time ago, this useless feature was introduced from one update to the other, they did not even make it optional so you could turn that off. Since then it is far easier to mess up your automation in a project.

My solution was to lock all groups by default in a template and unlock those, which I want volume automation on. This “lock/unlock all groups/automation tracks” can be put on a macro/keycommand. Like this I at least have the peace of mind, that I don’t accidentally make some volume changes, just by clicking somewhere in the middle of the project.

1 Like

I throw those groups into a folder and access them via mixer, but sometimes I forget. And then I have to pay the price. Cubase is unforgiving, it hides in the shadows, ready to strike :wink:

Would be nice to choose which type of automation track is shown on an unfolded track in the project window (single lane). I use mute more than volume automation. It’s really a mess to look at and if you’re not careful you end up messing up your volume by mistake. Really clumsy.

2 Likes

/agree
I usually lock my groups by default, to stop messing around with volumes unintentionally.