GUI visuals question

Great!

And the next sensation is Kinect for CAD!
Engineering aeroplanes have never been such fun.

I really hope we’re not stuck with such an ugly mixer interface because SB wants to make money off of the iPad crowd. That’d completely and utterly suck.

I still hate the control room look. It’s hard to see what’s what. It looks cluttered to me. Whoever thought it’d be a swell idea to put a “level bar” right on top of the text that says what the bar controls must have been smoking something. And I’ve noticed I really don’t like the way the fader heads look either… Looks like awesome updates, but I can’t for the life of me understand why redesigning the visuals is so important. Maybe people complained, but somehow I doubt it. Perhaps it was more fun coding a new UI look than VCAs…?

You guys need to spend a little time with a real touch screen interface and Windows 8 to get the point of the new mixer UI. Forget the silly iPad. It’s a joke compared to where the user interface is headed in modern computing. I just showed a tech salesman who hated Win8 (and is a Mac user) how to use Win8’s touch screen interface to oblitarate anything that can be done with keyboard and mouse. He said he was impressed, but the look on his face was “stunned”.

I couldn’t use the old Nuendo/Cubase mixer because it wouldn’t recall my EQ, insert and send layouts - always showed up with a mix of these after adding new track (very annoying), and it was just another child window which made full screen layouts a serious pain to manage.

I can use the new mixer. While it isn’t my favorite graphic look (just the dark gradient background mainly), I really couldn’t care less about the look vs. functionality. And functionality is much improved. It needs some tweaking for readability, no doubt. But this job is about getting work done, not staring at a pretty UI telling myself how “professional” it makes me feel. The mixer is on the right track for a faster method of working, in my opinion.

ProTools’ UI is fine, and in some ways has always been easier to follow than Nuendo/Cubase (still is), but it doesn’t exude professionalism in and of itself. But it works, and that’s all that counts.

Forget iPads and iPad apps. Try a real touch screen with Win8, but spend enough time to learn how it works faster than a keyboard/mouse combo, or get someone who really knows to show you, not just a store salesman. Then when you try it with Cubase/Nuendo I think you’ll get the point. You don’t have to replace a keyboard and mouse for everything to find a faster method of working. I get it with this new mixer, and I like it better than grabbing tiny faders to pan or send as with the old mixer.

The iPad concept is for Angry Birds and family photo viewers. A real mutlitouch OS can speed up work, but you need to spend time figuring that out rather than complaining about it on a forum.

Great, but who has a touch screen nowadays?

CSD,

I’m all for better functionality but what use is it if I can’t read what parameter I’m changing?

I did say it required some tweaks, as a general comment. To be specific, I agree the control room is far too difficult to read for some parameters. I also want to see expanded sections remain expanded when opening/closing the CR. Currently they always collapse. Cubase 7.0.1 has already improved readability of insert text and color assignment options. A good start on at least some of the improvements we’ve all wanted.

@Antonio - most (80-90%) people buying a Win8 PC now will have a touch screen. Most DAW builders should be offering touch screens at some point in 2013. Separate affordable touch screens will likely be available before summer.

@Bredo - the only hysteria I see is you complaining several times here about touch screens and the new mixer design. Obviously Nuendo 6/Cubase 7 are not for you. Stick with 5.5/6.5, or move to ProTools. There is no evidence Avid is planning to implement a different GUI for touch screens in ProTools any time soon. For audio and post, ProTools is a great DAW with a very efficient interface, key command system and GUI.

Not that it matters, but I really don’t think current Win8 PC sales are mostly touch screen devices. I agree it’s the future though. Near future.

I think you’re setting up a false dichotomy. I really don’t think a touch friendly UI is at the expense of a non-touch one. So if Bredo has to choose between v6 and earlier then that’s a problem with SB, not him.

As for touch control in and by itself I’m all for it but I really think most professionals will keep using knobs and faders. I personally might like a touch screen for toggling stuff on panels such as the automation panel for example. But no way will a touch screen be faster and more accurate than tactile for certain things.

There’s something to be said for tactile feedback. You just can’t beat not having to move you extremities which is the case using programmable trackballs, programmable keyboards and devices such as the Contour Design Shuttle Pro. It’d be a complete waste of time for a dialog editor for example to use a touch screen for that task.

I agree with Lydiot, and I’d like to add that I’ve been dealing with touchscreens for 6 or 7 years now and I don’t think it will become the main interface for anybody. It’s great for some tasks and not useful for high precision adjustments and awful in terms of ergonomics.

I don’t think you’ve read what I’ve said on this forum about this topic. The only false dichotomy I see is posters completely dismissing the touch screen concept as a “toy” and useless. I’ve already suggested the idea of using each device for what it does best (if not here, in another similar thread on this forum).

Perhaps some here need to think more creatively and stop trying to force technology to fit into old concepts of audio editing and mixing. Faders may never need to be replaced, but there are plenty of other tasks for which a mouse and keyboard are cumbersome on the best of days.

You seemed to imply that the UI changes was made in order to accommodate a touch device. And then you seemed to say that if people weren’t on-board with touch tech they should stick with the current version of Nuendo. And if both of those impressions were correct then I think it’s a false dichotomy because I think one could have both a nice UI and have it on a touch device. That’s all I was saying.

new GUI and new features should match for most post production studios, and should not force you to stick to either touchscreen or nuage - or leaving for pro tools.

For turning knobs and moving faders you propably have some controller hardware. No need to see fancy colored knobs on a modern daw-screen. On screen I want to have an overview on the current parameters. And then you touch and turn a hardware knob or enter some values. But I do not want to touch and turn an onscreen-knob with mouse! Then I prefer a horizontal sliding fader (like actual send-values).

+1

When I’m editing very quickly*, I don’t want to have to move my hands very much. I can move individual fingers a lot faster. So for me, keyboard and nearby trackball is the most efficient. Particularly given the awesome macro and customizable shortcut facility that Nuendo has had for years.

YMMV.

(* - My usual mode. Unless there’s a client asking questions.)

Just in case some don’t know what I’m talking about in the “Control Room” strip, you can see in this video:

what I’m talking to. The video is NOT about the “Control Room” strip which makes for a good example. If you’re working on something else you need to be able to get your info after a quick glance at the section in question.

So, if you look at the “phones” section you’ll see clearly how the text appears to be wider than the area that its given to populate, so it nudges right up to the very next text, i.e;

Cue 1Cue 2Cue 3Cue 4

and you can see how the first “C” looks cut off, as well as the last “4”, on left and right respectively. It’s incredibly ugly and looks totally unprofessional in my opinion. I guess this changes when you scale the size of that pane, but then so does the amount of viewable tracks then in order to make place for the pane. Not pretty in my opinion.

I’m also wondering if the “ref level” feature is still intact. I know I could ask SB about it but they seem to have overcome that clearly temporary increase in communication with their customers…

I’m with ‘csd’ on this one. I’d like to see Nuendo featuring multi-touch support in the near future. I do believe that the combination of controller, keyboard, mouse and touch screen is the future. And I do believe that the designers at Steinberg are fully aware of it.

I visited a tech store the other day and was checking out new laptops. I have Mac and PC and the model that blew me away was a W8 machine with touchscreen. All I wanted to do was install Nuendo and see how it would work.

Yes, I think we are going to see fantastic prosumer touch screens on the market soon.

I, for one, find this exciting

+1

Well, I didn’t start this thread with the intent of talking about touch-technology in DAWs. I was just pointing out what I think is something very poorly designed in at least C7.

Sorry Lydiot if we somehow diverted your thread from the initial “poorly designed C7” observation of yours.
As I don’t own Cubase 7 I can’t tell, just by the vids, if I like it or not.

Nuendo has always had a slightly (more pro if I may say) different GUI than Cubase.
I hope it’ll be the case this time, so maybe no fake metal bs and better knobs design.

I’ve looked into the details you mentionned (Cue 1Cue 2…) and it indeed looks like the graphic Dev still has some work to polish.

I’m eager to update my Nuendo to 6 and I’m glad and thankful that early adopters of the new generation of Cubendo find and report quirks and various oddities to the rest of us and to Steinberg.