Guidance please on key signatures with transposing instruments

Just learning Dorico 3.5. I’m making up lesson sheets for my granddaughter who is just starting to play Bb trumpet. I played many years ago. I’m creating a major scale worksheet and wanting to build a C Major scale in Dorico for the Bb trumpet.

Question needing guidance: When entering a C Major key signature for the full score on on the Bb part, I get the two sharps for D Major on the Bb layout (Dorico is making my transposition for me). I understand the transposition but my question is, in Dorico, do I always need to build the Major scale from the concert pitch perspective? (That is, do I need to always set a Bb key sig on the full score to achieve an effective C Major key sig on the Bb part?)

For the purposes of building a scale worksheet for a Bb trumpet, what would be a recommendation for the best workflow.

(Disclaimer: I am a hobbyist who played trumpet many, many years ago. Doing a lot of relearning and new learning these days.)
Kind regards.

You can enter notes in either concert pitch or transposed pitch. Select the option in the Edit menu.

By default, the score layout is in concert pitch, and parts layouts are in transposed pitch, but you can change either of them as you want.

Key signatures are always entered in concert pitch. That makes sense, because often a score has both transposing and non-transposing instruments and the key signature applies to the whole score, not just to one staff.

If you flip between concert and transposed pitch after you have entered some music, the key signature that is displayed and the pitch of the notes will change automatically.

It might be easier to understand how this works if you create a score with say a trumpet and piano. Then you can not only see the notation but also hear if the notes are actually at the correct pitches relative to each other.

Thank you for your reply. I’ll explore the edit menu more extensively. I’m still not all that familiar with all the options available in the menus. I’m finding Dorico easy to work with but it has many parts for sure.

If you’re just concerned about ease of note entry, and these are just worksheets, just use Trumpet in C and not Trumpet in Bb.