Guitar capo part transposition

I have a question about CAPOs in Dorico 4. I use them a lot on guitar parts in my compositions.

In the score I write at pitch but I need the guitarist to be able to read capo pitch, i.e. if he has it at the 3rd fret the open top and bottom strings will sound G but he will read it as E (as we all do when playing Dowland on the guitar with a capo for example).

I don’t seem to able to make this transposition of a minor 3rd in the guitar part only (or any other interval where the capo is used). Help anyone?

It’s normal practice for guitarists (classical) to do this. I’d be surprised if Dorico hasn’t a way to do this.

Are you wanting the capo to affect pitches on notation staves, tablature or both? And is your score concert pitch or transposed pitch?

Here’s the intro in the manual about capos: they can affect tablature, notation staves, chord symbols, and chord diagrams independently of each other. The sub-topics that take you through how to change each aspect have a number of pictures to demonstrate the differences the various settings have on the corresponding part of the music.

1 Like

I have a question about CAPOs. I use them a lot on guitar parts in my compositions. In the score I write at pitch but I need the guitarist to be able to read cope pitch, i.e. if he has it at the 3rd fret the open top and bottom strings will sound G but he will read it as E (as we all do when playing Dowland on the guitar with a capo for example). I don’t seem to able to make this transposition of a minor 3rd in the guitar part only (or any other interval where the capo is used). Help anyone?

Provided you have Dorico 4, you can use the options found in the Edit Strings and Tunings dialog to change the transposition of the notation for your fretted instrument. See here:

Hi Lillie, Thanks for your response. I just need to change it in notation in the part only. My score is in C - I will follow your link now too.

thanks
D

Hi I can’t get this to have any effect - I followed the precise directions and put in a capo @ III - making C4 E-flat4 - but it still showing and sounding in concert pitch on both score AND part - any ideas?

Is the guitar part layout set to use the fretted instrument transposition for the purposes of notation staves? See here. (I appreciate that this feature has a fair level of nuance, but therein lies its power!)

Ah - I just found that also (see link) - I must have read your mind! thanks so much all good now! Using fretted instrument transpositions