Guitar Fingering and Tablature

I’m learning to work with the Guitar fingering and tablature for a piece I’m scoring.
I understand that there are two number indicators:
String & Finger
On my score I’ve been able to indicate both, having learned how to change the string a note needs to be played on, in Engrave mode.
My understanding is floundering when trying to change, what I think is the fingering on the tablature of this particular chord I’ve written.
Is this not possible? What am I missing?
I’ve searched in the Dorico documentation about editing guitar fingering in tablature, but nothing comes up, so far.
Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

The TAB notation shows the fret number to play on each string, not the finger to be used to play it.
Thus:
tab

1 Like

Thank you for that clarification.

@ algae592009
Out of curiosity (I play guitar) what would you think about using 2 instead of 3 for c, then 1 instead of 2 for a?
For my left hand the fingerings you suggest are very difficult to play!

Not to pile on, but you don’t need to indicate the first and second strings as open AND with the string numbers indicated - use one or the other. This will save space, and leave the score less cluttered while still giving all the relevant information. It’s always an issue with guitar notation - there is a lot to indicate, and often there is not a lot of room.

Hope that helps.

Hi Teacue. I appreciate your insight. I don’t really play guitar, though I’ve played this piece in the past. I’m also learning the guitar jargon for scoring it.
I’m assuming you’re talking about changing the fingering of the chord. Your observation is right; I actually wrote the wrong fingering. What you suggest is actually what I thought I had written in the score.
Thanks for catching that.

Thank you rpearl. I know I tend to put more than needed, and since I’m not a guitar player, I don’t really have a good sense yet, of what’s needed and what’s not.
I’ll take your advise into account when reviewing my score.
Thank you.