Guitar fingerings on unisons - engrave and print differ

Guitar fingering on unison notes in on a single stem (common in guitar literature) seems unstable. The attachment shows a copy/paste three times of the last movement of the José sonata: all were pasted with the correct visual fingering (the first example in the image below), but have ended up with different dispositions of open/fingered strings around the stem. Possibly because the order of rendering of the unison noteheads is random?

In the original score, I’d entered the fingering with string assignments correctly in Engrave, then flipped to Print, which reordered the fingerings/noteheads.
Jose-Dorico-fingering-bug.JPG
Guitar-Fingering-Example.zip (474 KB)

Is this the Dorico file? There doesn’t seem to be any Dorico file to be found.

Ronald, if you rename the .zip file with a .dorico extension you should be able to open it.

David, when I go to Print, this is what I see:

If you click on Full Score, your fingerings are as you want them; clicking on Guitar brings up the other version. This is what I was asking on FB.

The point is, the 0 and 2 on the first chord were entered - and should stay - the other way around, so that the indications for the open strings are together, and on the unisons on the right of the stem. If I go back and edit the notes - swap the strings and the fingerings on the noteheads, sometimes they’ll stay, but after one or two more changes and flips between write/engrave/print they’ll flip again.

When I’m working on a guitar solo score, I’m working exclusively in full score. I switched to the guitar part in Engrave mode, and yes, when I go to Print I see what you see, but in the Engrave view the 0/2 and 1/0 are both flipped (relative to the Print view).

As I said - it appears to me that the order of rendering of unison notes around a single stem isn’t predicatable, making it impossible to reliably finger these situations.

Sorry it’s taken me a day or two to come back to you on this, David. I wanted to look into it carefully. Your diagnosis of the underlying issue is correct: for two notes of the same pitch, ultimately the thing that determines their order will be something unknowable by the user, such as their internal ID, which is assigned in the order in which the notes were created. If you copy and paste the notes, even the order in which you select them before you copy them to the clipboard can then have an impact on the IDs that are assigned and hence on the eventual displayed position.

However, you should be able to force Dorico into producing a completely stable result by setting the ‘Stopping finger position’ property for each notehead, which will force the fingering to appear on whichever side of the notehead you specify. Let me know if you still encounter this problem after using ‘Stopping finger position’ to lock things down.

Hi Daniel - many thanks, this does the trick! The José edition is looking marvellous!