Guitar gliss and sul pont

I’m loving the new Dorico 3 - quick and good looking.
But I have a problem with …

1. gliss text - I want it to show (via the properties panel) and it does if I stretch the line but the text promptly disappears again when I let go.
  2. The playing technique for sul tasto works fine but for sul pont I either get an inverted semicircle or, with Alternative text in the properties panel switched on, the text I want and the semicircle. I can’t get just text.
    glissandpont.dorico.zip (429 KB)

Gliss. text doesn’t appear on guitar instruments, because we (perhaps incorrectly) thought that a gliss. on a guitar is always a slide, and hence doesn’t need to have the text indicated.

To sort out the “sul pont” thing, you need to go to Engrave > Playing Techniques and make the ‘Popover text’ unique for the two competing sul pont. techniques. This is a problem in the way I originally set them up and I’m afraid I’ve not yet had a chance to go through and make sure all duplicates in the 220+ techniques are removed. I’m sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Gosh that was quick!

A gliss on guitar implies an audible slide including all semitones between the start and end notes - a ‘special’ effect.
The Slide In works well for the position change - not necessarily ending up with the same finger as the start finger.
Though it may be given a gliss sound in a particular interpretation if a slur is used.

I’ll go and sort out the sul pont now.
Thanks again for that quick response.

I did as you suggested (going to Engrave Menu->Playing Techniques), changed the strings popover text to ‘sul ponticello’ and all is well!
thanks again.

Daniel wrote:

Gliss. text doesn’t appear on guitar instruments, because we (perhaps incorrectly) thought that a gliss. on a guitar is always a slide, and hence doesn’t need to have the text indicated.

I agree that most often the text “gliss” isn’t necessary for guitar music, but there are times where it would be nice to be able to add the text anyway, like in music where both portamento and glissando is represented. And when a piece has a both guidelines between fingerings and glissandos. Please, make it possible to use the text for guitars as well.

Guitarist here. There is a difference between a shift slide and a glissando. From Gould’s Behind Bars, pg. 377–378. “[Finger shift] is a special technique in which the right hand plucks only the first note while the left hand slides to a second pitch on the same string, with the same finger, without making an audible glissando. Notate a glissando line between the pitches and add a slur to indicate that the second note is included in the one plucked stroke. An expressive glissando must be marked gliss. to distinguish it from the finger shift. If the second note is to plucked, there should be no slur between pitches.”

Both glissando lines with and without the gliss. text need to be available for fretted instruments as they denote two different techniques.

OK, thanks for the feedback. We’ll figure out a solution for this.

I’m glad I found this thread as I was about to ask a similar question on the Facebook page. I was wondering why the gliss or port text wasn’t showing on guitar. Daniel offered an answer. Although not necessary for guitar, I would like the option of putting text for gliss or port with the notation. Otherwise, gray out the ability to do this on the properties panel when guitar is invoked (which sounds like a coding nuisance). Of course, the Behind Bars quote earlier in this thread makes a valid point for including the text.

–Jonathan