guitar natural harmonic notation 12th fret

I don’t work with Tab, so I can’t answer your question directly, but a few things stand out:
–it looks like the B harmonic is being calculated from the 6th string/VII fret; not sure why that would be.
–sorry to nit-pick (this isn’t why you posted) but do you want a D# in the first chord? Isn’t it a G-major triad - the “1” in the Tab caught my eye.

Sorry I can’t be more help!

This is genuinely “fun” example, and I think maybe you have found a bug!

Here is what I discovered: when you enter the G and B harmonics as a chord and there are no other voices, Dorico notates the tablature perfectly, getting the frets correct with no fuss. However, the instant you add the extra voice, the weirdness happens. Try as I might, I cannot find a way around it. It appears as though Dorico decides that the upper B is out of the range of the instrument whenever another voice is added. Or perhaps Dorico can’t tell what string to put it on? Very strange.

As for the B harmonic in m. 2 (your “scratch area”), THAT one can be fixed by going into properties, toggling String, and choosing the 2nd string.

I’m going to play with this more a little later today, sorry I couldn’t be of more help!

Dave

Okay, I finally had a bit more time to play with this, and here is what I have discovered:

It appears that, when note durations overlap from voice to voice, Dorico gets confused. Consider this example I’ve created:

As you can see, Dorico comprehends the harmonics just fine (I used diamond noteheads, but circle symbols work just as well), but I also had to notate the framing G chord as an 8th note rather than a dotted quarter note. Any attempt to extend the duration of that framing chord results in Dorico not understanding the B harmonic in the chords it overlaps (i.e. if you make it into a quarter note, you lose the B in the very next chord only, and a dotted quarter wipes out both Bs).

I’m guessing that Dorico has decided that the figure is unplayable if you try to literally hold the G chord as written…? I have no idea, actually, but this is definitely a bug that should be addressed. It is quite common for this type of thing to happen in piano music without incident. Seeing as how Albeniz was a virtuoso pianist whose works are often transcribed for guitar, it would stand to reason that someone transcribing one of his works might wish to follow a similar convention when notating guitar music.

Anyone?

Dave

I checked with my guitar-playing colleague Richard to make sure I got the correct advice here. Because there’s only a single node at which the harmonic at the 12th fret can be played, the fact that you’ve tried to override the ‘Node’ property is confusing Dorico a bit. So deactivate the ‘Node’ property, then set the ‘String’ property to the appropriate note, and you’ll get the expected harmonic. Richard was kind enough to do this in the actual project – see the attached version.
Grenada_measure21 fixed.dorico.zip (506 KB)

1 Like

This is somewhat OT, but you’ve used the term “caveman” quite a lot recently, and based on the contexts in which you’ve done so, I thought you might find articles like this one or videos like this of interest. I for one love such reminders that the world and our history is often bigger and more complicated than previously thought!