Guitar Rig 5 automation of parameters

Hi,
I wonder if anyone using Guitar Rig could try something out for me.
Cubase is treating many of the automatable parameters in the Guitar Rig rack as “toggle” type rather than “continuous” type. It is doing it in the Quick Controls and in the Automation Lanes.
Specific Example:
Load the “Real Wah” pedal into the rack and assign a Quick Control to the pedal position. Does Cubase treat it like a “ON/OFF” parameter?
What is even more strange is that if you move the pedal position with the mouse in Guitar Rig, Cubase shows the position moving “continuously”(on the quick control display) as expected, but if you try to control the pedal position from the quick control (with a modulation wheel or expression pedal), you only get ON or OFF. The Quick Control also shows the “ON/OFF” button rather than the “value” parameter.
It behaves the same way in the automation lanes, for example, if you try to draw pedal position data in on the automation lane, Cubase will only allow you to draw ON or OFF but if you “Record” automation and move the pedal position in GR with the mouse, Cubase records the “continuous” movement properly.
The Talk Wah, and Wah Wah are the same but the Cry Wah works 100% perfectly.
Now try the same experiment with the Stomp Compressor. Try to automate the Volume knob. It works perfectly for me. But then the “Sustain” knob does not (it behaves like an ON/OFF parameter).
The best way I can think to describe it is that Cubase believes (incorrectly, of course) that many of the parameters in GR are ON/OFF type instead of “Continuous” type. No way to tell at the user end if it is because GR is reporting the automatable parameters incorrectly to Cubase or if Cubase is just not controlling the parameters correctly.
I guess for know I would just like to know if others are experiencing this. I am using Cubase 6.5.1 (also had this on 6.0.6) with latest GR5.1 Pro (Komplete 8) on a Windows 7 machine (everything 64 bit).
Thanks for your help troubleshooting this.
Sincerely,
J.L.

Working perfectly here, sorry.

What is even more strange is that if you move the pedal position with the mouse in Guitar Rig, Cubase shows the position moving “continuously”(on the quick control display) as expected, but if you try to control the pedal position from the quick control (with a modulation wheel or expression pedal), you only get ON or OFF. The Quick Control also shows the “ON/OFF” button rather than the “value” parameter.

Still fine, sorry.

Did you assign the Quick Controls manually, or from the Quick Controls Inspector panel’s “Get Default QCs” button?
I’ve tried with both, and it is still fine, but, notice that, from the “Get Default QCs”, the “Real Wah Pedal” is in the 2nd slot, and the 1st slot is occupied by “Real Wah On/Off” (so are you in fact manipulating the correct incoming controller?)

Hm, I also have automation problems with the new 6.5 release and I found out that the problems occur if you have many automated parameters for one plugin while 1-2 parameters may still work.
In my case, the automations don’t make it into a mixdown or freeze, while played back correctly in realtime
( bug:Automation of Retrologue doesn't get mixed-down/frozen - Cubase - Steinberg Forums )

That’s odd, I don’t have this problem at all and I typically automate in the neighborhood of 8 to 10 parameters per plug-in. Sometimes more. I have a Kontakt instance right now that I have about 30 parameters working perfectly, including export.

Maybe then it’s a Retrologue+Cubase6.5 problem (or have you tried the attached cpr?). Another user on that thread said that Retrologue worked well on older versions of Cubase in terms of automation, but not with 6.5.
Other VSTs also work fine here, also in mixdowns. I only witnessed the misbehaviour with Retrologue until now.

Vic, I don’t get the “Get Default Quick Controls from Plugin” button with Guitar Rig. I assumed it was because it is an effect and not an instrument. So I configured them manually. Can you confirm you get the default button with Guitar Rig?
I have now discovered that this behavior depends on the total configuration of the Guitar Rig rack. In other words, changing the makeup and/or order of the components changes the behavior. For instance, In Guitar Rig, under the Presets tab, select Styles → Jazz → Buzzed Michael Clean. Then assign a Quick Control to the Sustain knob on the Stomp Compressor. I am curious if you get the “ON/OFF” behavior I described before. Then insert the Real Wah pedal between the Stomp Compressor and the “Equializer Shelving” component and assign a Quick Control to the pedal. Here I get the ON/OFF behavior again.
J.L.

J.L.

You’re not wrong :smiley:
I had also assigned a MIDI track to the MIDI input of GuitarRig 5, and that button becomes available on the MIDI track. (I did that, because, the last time I had used the wah pedal, I had MIDI learnt it to my expression pedal, and wanted to see if the Learn had been remembered).

Thanks Vic. That clears it up. Here is what I have found.
When you add and move components around in the Guitar Rig rack, the parameters start to get “confused” and behave the way I explained above. It seems though that saving the project, closing it and re-opening it causes Guitar Rig to “Update” Cubase on the types of Parameters and then everything works. The big problem was that when it started behaving strangely, I wold just revert to the last saved project. But then, when I changed the GR rack again, I would get the same thing.
So it seems I have found a solution. Of course, I am posting this in the Guitar Rig forum as well.
Thanks for the help.
J.L.
Oh, by the way, I am curious if you get the same behavior I describe after adding and moving components around, etc.
i.e. add several components and then start assigning knobs to quick controls. Eventually, I always get some knobs that behave with the ON/OFF behavior. But, BOTTOM LINE, saving and reloading seems to sort it out every time.

And what happens if, instead of reverting the project, etc., you simply save the Rack Preset, unload GuitarRig, then reload it?

Oh, by the way, I am curious if you get the same behavior I describe after adding and moving components around, etc.
i.e. add several components and then start assigning knobs to quick controls. Eventually, I always get some knobs that behave with the ON/OFF behavior. But, BOTTOM LINE, saving and reloading seems to sort it out every time.

Can’t check that right now, but will have a go, maybe tomorrow :wink:

This also works. After moving the rack around (and getting the misbehaving quick controls) I saved the new rack as a Guitar Rig Preset. Then removed the GR insert, reopened it, and selected the GR Preset I had just saved and all the Quick Controls behaved properly. I just seems that any thing causes GR to update Cubase on the automatable parameters and their types fixes it.
J.L.
p.s. I didn’t try saving it as a Cubase preset but I assume that would also work.

(I’m inclined to be generous here to N.I. and to Steinberg, and say that this strangeness is probably to be expected :wink: )

Agreed. I have no intention of complaining about it now that I know how to correct it.
Thanks for the help.
J.L.