Hairpin Ends

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone can help me out. I’m having an issue with the hairpins in Dorico 4 (latest version, but it’s persisted across all versions of Dorico 4 so far). Visually they look fine, but Dorico interprets the end of my hairpin as aligning with the start of the next bar rather than the end of the current bar. Here’s a picture to show what I mean.

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 9.48.01 AM

The issue here is that if I want to create new bars directly after a hairpin, the hairpin gets extended across all the new bars I insert (as shown below).

Is there any way to change this behaviour? This has been a major issue on a project I’ve been working on – frequently, I’ve made multiple instruments do a diminuendo together, and then I’ve had to insert some bars after said diminuendo, which causes all the new diminuendos (diminuendi?) to be stretched across all the news bars that I’ve inserted. It’s cumbersome having to go back and fix this every time. I don’t recall this ever happening in Dorico 2, 3, or 3.5.

Hope I’ve explained this properly!

1 Like

Just bumping this post since it seems to have gotten buried.

Simplest approach is to use shift-alt-left to shorten the hairpin, so it doesn’t extend across the barline, before you insert new bars.

1 Like

That’s the workaround I’ve been using actually, it’s just annoying to have to do this every single time so I’m wondering if there’s a way to change the hairpin behaviour. Like I said, I don’t recall this being a problem in previous versions.

I think it has always been like this.

Oh, I more meant the issue with adding new bars after a hairpin, but perhaps I’m misremembering. Ah well. Cheers for the help anyway :slight_smile:

I agree this sort of thing is a bit fiddly. The same issue happens if you try to add a hairpin to the entirety of a final bar… Dorico adds a bar. I understand why, but it feels wrong.

There’s an option now to end dynamics at the end of the selection, Dan…

No change there either. It is logical though. The end of the hairpin is after the barline. The new bars are added at the barline, so everything gets shunted right.

Any clues as to where to set it?

Er. Not at my desk. Preferences > Note Editing and Input?

Yes, but then it doesn’t always extend visually to the end of the bar.

Yes, I know I’m asking for contradicting things. Well actually, I’m not asking for anything I guess, just observing that it’s not quite what I’d expect. It’s fine, I’m used to it!

That only works for multiple selections. A hairpin under a single note (as the OP case) still extends to the following bar.

1 Like

Hey Janus – just redownloaded Dorico 3.5 to test this out, and no, this definitely wasn’t a problem in previous versions. The hairpins do end at the start of the next bar, but adding new bars afterwards doesn’t stretch the hairpin across the new ones. I think it’s safe to say this is a bug with Dorico 4.

Edit: Thought I’d add some GIFs below to better show people what I’m talking about.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR (Taken from Dorico 3.5):
Dorico_Hairpin_1_EXPECTED

ACTUAL BEHAVIOUR (Taken from Dorico 4):
Dorico_Hairpin_2_CURRENT

1 Like

Dan, I must admit, I haven’t encountered your issue before with the hairpin creating a new bar after the final one. I went back to my score to test it, and I can’t reproduce it. Are you running the latest version of Dorico?

It would be a relief if the stretching of gradual dynamics when you create new bars at the end of it, introduced in Dorico 4, would be reverted. It costs so much time every time to work around this quirk. Could the behaviour of Dorico <=3.5 as in @VIUSStudios 's screen recording above be restored?

Or could there be made an option to set this in the preferences?

1 Like