HALion 5 Screen Set Performance Issues

Has anyone else experienced any performance issues when using complex screen sets?

I ran into a problem recently with a project that I was working on. Whenever I loaded this project, it would cause Cubase to freeze and I was forced to close Cubase with the task manager because it was not responding.

After a fair amount of troubleshooting, I’ve come to the conclusion that it was HALion 5 that was causing this project to freeze up. Specifically, I have my own custom screen set that I use that shows lots of different panels. Apparently, this screen set is causing HALion to overwork and thus causing Cubase to hang.

I’m not 100% sure that it’s HALion that was causing the performance issues, but whenever I switch to the ‘basic’ screen set everything seems to work fine again.

This is a huge disappointment because I really like Halion and I hate to think that it’s not perfect. But if this continues to happen, I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do other than stop using it and get another sampler (since Cubase doesn’t come with one that has deep functionality).

Thoughts?

Also, another thing I would like to note.

Whenever Halion caused Cubase to freeze/hang, the interface was unresponive, but hitting play on my controller would still play back my project. I think Halion has some sort of GUI rendering glitch that’s causing Cubase to freeze whenever I use screen sets that display a lot of information. If I set Halion to the ‘basic’ screen set, there doesn’t seem to be any problem.

Also, here is my system specs:

Cubase 7.5 64bit
Halion 5 64bit
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.4Ghz
12Gb RAM
256Gb SSD
Nvidia Geforce GTX 580
Steinberg UR28M Audio Interface
Novation 25SLMkII w/ Automap 4.7

Ok here’s an update as to what I think has happened.

In Halion, I have a custom program called “Empty Program” that I load into 8 different slots. It’s just an empty program with 8 layers and 8 busses. Now I thought I had independent instances of “Empty Program” loaded into each slot, but actually each slot was pointing to the program loaded into slot 1.

Here’s an image showing what I mean:

As you can see, every slot has “Empty Program” loaded into it and there are 8 ‘used’ instances of that program in the program table. Every slot is pointing to the same program.

This is definitely not what I wanted because if I add a sample to slot 2, it gets added to every slot. Why would I want that?

So what I’m thinking here is that this is causing Halion to seriously glitch out for some reason. It’s throwing Cubase into an endless loop or something?

Now I might be jumping to conclusions here because it might start messing up again, but I feel like this is what was wrong.

I’ll report back with any news.

Also sorry if it seems like I’m talking to myself here. But hopefully this will be helpful to someone at some point.